News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Question about oil filler and cap colour...

Started by joeceretti, November 30, 2013, 08:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeceretti

In the authenticity manual for 38 60S it shows and states that the oil filler should be green. However I am looking at a Cadillac brochure page and it shows it as black. Is it that the brochures were made up before the cars were built and they decided during production that it was easier or cheaper to paint them green? I am more inclined to accept that then to accept the manual is wrong. I just painted mine today, green, and wouldn't want to have to redo my work.

Steve Passmore

Before you start beating yourself up and loosing sleep over authenticity Joe, haven't you already stated that this is the wrong year engine for your 38?
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

joeceretti

No beating or lack of sleep.  :D

I'm having fun. This engine is in fact from a 39 Sixty Special. I am starting with the details of this. Trying to reconcile what is well known, what is not and how to get it as close to correct as I possibly can. Then I will run this engine in my car for a few years while I take my time and rebuild the correct engine and detail it using the 39 as my model. I am sure there will eventually be a very happy 39 owner out there thrilled to find my motor coming to them in a few years.
I was and am happy with the look of the filler tube. Just want to get some opinion on why the difference from the production cars vs the advertising materials.

Richardonly

Joe,

I have seen the black on the cap and tube in books, but never on any Caddy flatheads at any meets or shows. 

Suposedly, mine was a survivor, and was green, as the pics in the other article shows.  Mine is also a 1948 and I'm not sure as there were suttle diferences as the years went on.

Your engine looks GREAT!!!

Regards, Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

joeceretti

Thanks Richard. I am very pleased with the look of it.

When I stripped the cap the top colour paint was black and then under that was some bronze looking colour and then under that were bits of green here and there. The bronze paint, where it was directly on metal, was VERY difficult to strip. I am going to leave it green.