News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

How to remove fan shaft from bracket?

Started by joeceretti, December 01, 2013, 12:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeceretti

I pulled the retaining clip from the bracket and expected the shaft to come out easily. I used a plastic hammer and tapped on it and then hit it harder. Nothing. Should I use a puller?

Steve Passmore

Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

joeceretti

Pressing it out will be easy, pressing it back in might be a challenge. I think I will refurbish it as is. More work getting into the crevices but six of one half dozen of the other kind of deal.

Bill Ingler #7799

Joe: Steve is right, the fan bearing should be pressed off. Since you are doing so much great work to bring your car back to original and especially if you intend to drive it when finished, I recommend you press on a new fan bearing. That old bearing is a sealed bearing so any lubrication left inside that bearing is almost 75 years old. The same is true of your old axle bearings. Original sealed bearings to the car need replaced. Find a machine shop with an arbor press and they can press on that new bearing so that the locking safety wire that you pulled off will slip right in the grove of the new bearing.   Bill

joeceretti

Very good point Bill. I have a press here. I will mark the fan mount and take it all apart and then reassemble in the same orientation so I don't throw the balance off. Get a new bearing tomorrow morning.

joeceretti

I cleaned and took a look at the bearing. It appears to be modern and turns quite freely. I decided to leave well enough alone. It's an easy thing to change later if required.

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

As Bill suggested change those axle bearings no matter what you see or how they look.  They are cheap and can be purchased most anywhere.  These old sealed bearings are not good and fail regularly on tours if they have not been changed.  Unless you are really sure about the fan bearing being new the price is very cheap compared to a fan in the radiator.  The original old ones look just like the new ones
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

joeceretti

I tried to respond earlier from my phone but for some reason it wouldn't post. Changing the wheel bearings is one of the very first things I did when I got the car. I will change out the bearing in the fan, just later in the winter after the work I have planned is complete. Pulling the tired engine out of the car tomorrow and then starting the cleaning of the engine bay.