News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

72 Eldo half vinyl top

Started by Lars Kneller 8246, December 01, 2013, 06:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lars Kneller 8246

I am repainting my 72 Eldorado Custom Cabriolet that has the half vinyl top. The top is shot and needs to be replaced. Does anyone know how to get the chrome trim off that goes around the top's periphery?  Thanks.

76eldo

Lars,

Post photos and I may be able to help.  If it's anything like the Deville series cars they are held on with clips.  Try to show the breaks in the pieces in your photos.  Also a 72 body manual might show the moldings and they way they are fastened.

You can email photos to me ar rachlin@comcast.net or post them here.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

J. Skelly

Lars,

I don't have the '72 Fisher Body manual.  Since there has been only one other response, I'll add my 2 cents.  I had the top replaced on my '77 Biarritz several years ago.  I don't know if the '72's top was done by ASC, but it may have been.  On mine, I climbed in the trunk and unbolted the nuts that hold on the rear piece, and the pieces on the side of the quarter panel.  Once that is done, you carefully remove the rear piece by pulling/sliding it up.  The side quarter pieces were trickier since they are diecast.  You have to wiggle them free of the body, being careful not to scratch the studs on the paint or bend the studs or trim.  The corner pieces that connect the front piece to the side pieces, and the rear piece to the rear corner pieces, are screwed into the body.  Remove those with a phillips screwdriver.  The front piece was bolted down - according to the shop that put the new top on.   Access is gained by peeling away the headliner.  I had them change the front moldings so the piece can be easily removed for repainting the car instead of having to remove the headliner again and unbolting the molding.

Jim
Jim Skelly, CLC #15958
1968 Eldorado
1977 Eldorado Biarritz
1971 Eldorado (RIP)

76eldo

I have gently pulled up a few vinyl tops to repair some slight rust at the base of the top where it connects to the upper rear quarter and panel above the deck lid.

Yes, on Biarritz's there are a couple of posts that go right through the sheetmetal and are nutted on from inside of the trunk.  On a 72, you should not have that situation.

I have worked on later 70's Fleetwoods and Coupes and they had two sections.  The clips were locked onto metal posts sticking up from the car and press on with a keyed opening.  There is a slight lip that sticks up and retains the molding on.

Try prying gently on the sides first and jet them loosened up and off of the clips.  The, starting with the side that overlaps in the center, slide the molding towards you and it may slide off of the clips.

I'll see if I have any photos saved on my computer at home tonight.

If the Eldo is like the later Fleetwood or Coupe from 78-79, this will work.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)