News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

73 Eldo Convertible Top

Started by aggie2012, December 07, 2013, 02:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aggie2012

I finally started my new job and I'm beginning to have a little money to put into my car. The next project I need to undertake is the convertible top. I have been shopping on hydroe.com and found a bunch of different options for replacement tops. My questions to the Caddy veterans is what is the best option? They offer both vinyl and canvas with both glass and plastic windows. I have already decided I want to put a plastic window in, but what material would be better?

I'm planning on installing it myself. I have a copy of both the shop manual and the Fisher body manual so I have all the info I should need.

Also, any advice on the subject is welcomed as I have no experience with convertibles. 
1973 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible

"Black Betty"

76eldo

Best advice I can offer with 35 years of owning convertibles is that it's not a DIY job.
Especially on this design top which is most complicated even for veteran installers.
The window originally was glass but if you prefer plastic go for it.

Unless you get black canvas you should get vinyl.  Canvas stains easily and the original spec was vinyl.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Allen Blackmon

I am so glad you provided your wise advise. I had planned to replace my top on my 73 Eldorado tomorrow, but now I know, I do not have the skill set.
Allen Blackmon
CLC #18647

1973 Eldorado convertible
1976 Eldorado coupe
1973 Eldorado convertible

aggie2012

Thanks for the warning. It looked complicated but I was hoping I could figure it out. Now the question is how do I find someone that knows anything about scissor tops?

"Black Betty"

The Tassie Devil(le)

If the top you are replacing has the glass window, and is still working properly, and has all the bars, wires and springs intact, I would be going with the glass as a replacement.

Not sure what you would have to remove, if anything to run with the plastic window, but glass is easier to clean than plastic.

Plus, if your car has the heated rear window, then that cannot be used with the plastic one.

The roof on my '72 is what I suppose you would call a "Canvas" one, and I am very happy with it.   BUT, got to wash the spot immediately some bird decides to spoil it.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

Look for an auto top shop with a guy at least in his late 40's or early 50's.  Just ask if they are familiar with the 71-76 GM full size tops.

One suggestion would be to call Hydro Electric ( www.hydroe.com ) and see if they can refer you to any top shops in your area.  Hydro Electric is a major supplier of auto tops and they sell to many top shops.

You can also post the question here and mention where you live and ask for a member to refer you to a shop.

If they hem and haw about it, leave immediately!

Good luck,

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

austingta

I agree it's not a DIY job. As mentioned in  a different thread, let the shop buy the top instead of taking it in to them. Robbins or Electron are the best, and we are talkin' about a Cadillac here. All car guys notice a cheesy plastic rear window too.

Scot Minesinger

The plastic window looks terrible, go with glass.  Agree with all other guys on this thread, via references you respect, make sure that the shop you hire is experienced with GM 71-76 full size tops.  Do not hire a shop based on price and/or charm of owner.  Canvas stains, so agree unless it is black go with vinyl. 
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

aggie2012

As much as I love my Eldo, she's no show car. I've been working to try to get all the parts that make it a cadillac operating again (sentinal, auto climate control, power windows). So far she's just roadster. I mainly want to get the top looking decent so when we load up and take trips, I don't have to have a tarp to cover it at night, or in the event of rain. The glass seems like the more expensive option, thus I'm looking at the plastic....unless the glass is just easier to work with.

Let me put it this way, most car guys will notice the bubbling paint on the rear fenders and fender skirts before they'll ever notice the plastic window lol.

What is this rear defroster everyone keeps talking about? I'm not sure the parts for one are even left in my car.

"Black Betty"

austingta

Quote from: aggie2012 on December 07, 2013, 11:02:48 PM
As much as I love my Eldo, she's no show car. I've been working to try to get all the parts that make it a cadillac operating again (sentinal, auto climate control, power windows). So far she's just roadster. I mainly want to get the top looking decent so when we load up and take trips, I don't have to have a tarp to cover it at night, or in the event of rain. The glass seems like the more expensive option, thus I'm looking at the plastic....unless the glass is just easier to work with.

Let me put it this way, most car guys will notice the bubbling paint on the rear fenders and fender skirts before they'll ever notice the plastic window lol.

What is this rear defroster everyone keeps talking about? I'm not sure the parts for one are even left in my car.

Understood 100%. Still, if you are like me, the few dollars you save with a plastic rear window will be wasted because, as the car gets better, that window will stick out like a sore thumb.

The Tassie Devil(le)

There was an option with the convertible of a Rear Window De-Fogger, which is an electric grid in the rear window, and a switch on the dash, next to the Convertible up and down switch.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

aggie2012

I guess you are right. I need to just save up a little more and go with the glass.

I'm going to guess that when the previous owner broke the original glass, they took threw the window heater away. There are a handful of taped up wires behind the back seat close to the top relay. I'm guessing that goes to a defogger.

My car is black with black carpet and white seats so I'm thinking about replacing the original black top with a white one. I live in south Texas between San Antonio and Houston, close to Austin. Does anyone know of a shop who does good work and won't break the bank?

"Black Betty"

austingta

I have had all my work done at J&H tops just off Slaughter Lane about two miles west of I-35. They have been around a long time. Here are pics of their work for me:

austingta

That 71 GS was the car that taught me not to save on plastic rear windows.

The Tassie Devil(le)

Actually, those taped up "wires" could be the ends of the Fibre Optics to the tail lights, if your car had that option.   The unit sits on the top of the back seat and is usually broken over time.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

aggie2012

Wow. Those are beautiful vehicles. The tops are perfect. I'm going to take it that the GS has a plastic rear window in it? May I ask how much it set you back?

I don't think this car had the fiber optics in the back. I haven't put much thought into testing them out since there's nothing back there anyway. When I take the back seat out to work on the top motor, I'll take some pictures and post them. It looks like a really cheap repair job to me.

Speaking of the convertible top, I tested the connections last time I had the back seat out, and everything seem to be hot as it should be. The motor itself was seized. I took it apart (probably a mistake), and now I can't get the cap back over the "ball" at the end of the shaft. Easily fixed or try to find a good used one?

"Black Betty"

austingta

Quote from: aggie2012 on December 08, 2013, 10:17:29 PM
Wow. Those are beautiful vehicles. The tops are perfect. I'm going to take it that the GS has a plastic rear window in it? May I ask how much it set you back?

I don't think this car had the fiber optics in the back. I haven't put much thought into testing them out since there's nothing back there anyway. When I take the back seat out to work on the top motor, I'll take some pictures and post them. It looks like a really cheap repair job to me.

Speaking of the convertible top, I tested the connections last time I had the back seat out, and everything seem to be hot as it should be. The motor itself was seized. I took it apart (probably a mistake), and now I can't get the cap back over the "ball" at the end of the shaft. Easily fixed or try to find a good used one?

Only have your top motor rebuilt. This guy is the guy:

http://www.topmotorrepair.com/ His name is Jim. He rebuilt my top motor, and he is our kind of people. Really.

Here are a couple of pics of before and after:

I had one of my guys put it in my 66...15 minutes max.

austingta

The GS was so long ago I can't remember -- probably 700.00 or so. Those prices are obsolete.

The Wildcat was in 2007. It cost 1100.00 total.

My Cadillac I bought in 2009. It's top is still the same. Here is the top from then:

It still looks the same now.

The Tassie Devil(le)

The '7 top operation is all electric.   No hydraulics to leak everywhere.

If your car has the fibre optics in the front fenders, then it would have had them in the rear.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

76eldo

If the wires you are referring to are copper wires and have some solder on the ends, the were for the rear defogger in the old original glass back window.  If they look like black plastic they may be for the fiber optic "Telltale" indicator that would have been on the top of the back seat.

See photo below.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa

1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv