News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1961 Series 62 Convertible Top Question

Started by Jack Miller CLC# 24441, December 07, 2013, 02:19:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

I am finally ready to have my convertible top replaced. Hurricane Sandy put a tree through it and also broke my 2 door windows. Insurance paid for all repairs and I am going to drop the car off this week to get it done. During the past year I have been shopping for sales on GM Restoration parts (free shipping too) and I have the front and rear tack strips, both pads, new well liner, new top, new rubber, motor and lines replaced and hydraulic lifts are perfect.
The shop wants $1,500.00 for just the labor to remove the old top and put on the new using my parts. I have never had this done on a classic Cadillac. Is this ball park or too much?
Can a few of you please post what they paid?

Thank You
Jack Miller
1961 Series 62 Convertible

austingta

I think a lot depends on market conditions for your area, but here in Austin I've had two full sized cars done for around $800.00 labor. $1500 sounds steep to me.

I do not know if your car is more time consuming. Perhaps you could check around, or if that shop is where you want to have the work done for a reason, have someone call and ask what the labor charge would be for, say, a 1965 Catalina.

76eldo

Jack

I have said it many times, you should never buy your own top and take it to an upholstery shop.
If the job does not come out to your liking they will blame the parts.
What I normally do is specify who's top I want on the car, and I only use Robbins or Electron tops. Any reputable top shop will know these brands.

I just had my 1960 DeVille done this past summer. Electron top, new pads, new well, new proper rear window and curtain all for $1700.00 installed.   My motor and cylinders were fine. The shop I used is a high end custom upholstery shop that only works on collector cars and exotics.  His normal price would have been about $2200.00 but we are friends for over 30 years.

If you let the top shop supply all of the materials, that makes them responsible for the entire job with regard to fit, function and appearance.   If they wanted you to get the parts that's a different story.

Good luck

Brian.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

n2caddies

I agree with Brian.
You wouldn't take store bought eggs to the diner and ask the cook to make you an omelet.  In all fairness to the shop they should add the profit of the top to yours and the net cost is the same. Let them assume responsibility for the entire job, labor and materials.
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Jack Miller CLC# 24441

Quote from: n2caddies on December 07, 2013, 05:11:39 PM
I agree with Brian.
You wouldn't take store bought eggs to the diner and ask the cook to make you an omelet.  In all fairness to the shop they should add the profit of the top to yours and the net cost is the same. Let them assume responsibility for the entire job, labor and materials.
Randy

I have been doing this for years with over 100 cars, but my interior man recently passed away. After getting a top installed last month they used inferior material. I refuse to use their material. I ended up selling the car as the top looked like crap and the shop said that it was perfect. I had to pay for a nasty top. We are in bad times and shops will use cheaper parts to make higher profits. Most shops are quiet in the winter here and as long as the material is correct they have no problem getting labor. I was quoted $900.00 by a shop about an hour from my house and I will need a taxi back and forth.
I will only use Robbins tops for Jaguar, GM Restoration Certified tops for my GM cars. I have 15 vehicles and I have been restoring cars since 1965. I haven't had to do a Cadillac since 1972 when I was able to walk into Electron and buy their tops. Electron no longer sells to the public and I can drive there.
Totally different bringing in eggs to a restaurant to bringing car parts. I have had too many parts fail in the past few years. I buy my parts during yearly sales and I usually do all of the work myself. I haven't done a top in 40 years. Most shops know that owners of vintage cars are more particular and they take the job rather than having to do the legwork. A newer car is no problem and factory parts are still available.
I will not put parts made in China into any of my cars or any other inferior parts. A heck of a lot of shops will use Chinese parts (for example) and I will only use Moog for my front end. Must say made in USA.
Wait till it is 20 degrees outside or you are stuck on a highway and you have to wait for hwy tow because an inferior part craps out on you.
I am just looking for an average of labor prices.
The shop is also taking off my front leather seat and rebuilding it with their leather dying it and using their material and labor. This is still America where we can choose what we want to use on our cars.

Thanks
Jack

1931 Ford Model A
1961 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible
1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split Window Coupe
1962 Chevrolet Corvette
1977 Chevrolet Corvette L-82
1967 Jaguar E-Type Open Two Seater
1972 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454 Coupe
1963 Jaguar MK2
1966 Triumph T120R Bonneville
1967 Pontiac GTO Convertible
1974 VW Super Beetle Convertible
1988 Porsche 911 Carrera Convertible
1999 Jaguar XK8 Convertible
2006 Dodge Magnum SXT AWD
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD

n2caddies

Sorry Jack,
Judging by the tone of your first question I made the assumption, incorrectly it seems, that you were new to the hobby. With over 100 vehicles restored and all your years of experience I would think you would be able to call around your local shops and ask for prices.
Best of luck,
Randy
Randy George CLC# 26143
1959 Series 62 Convertible
1960 Series 62 Convertible
1964 Deville Convertible
2015 SRX

Barry

Jack, I agree with Brian 100 % !!!! NEVER buy a top from an outside source and expect an installer to do a perfect job. It IS important to find a reliable trim guy who has knowledge of these cars , and has been in the business for many years. I've really been spoiled by my upholsterer ! Barry Norman
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible