News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1987 deville tank sending unit (family on trip)

Started by RussK, December 09, 2013, 01:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RussK

At work we just had a 87 Deville come in where the owners are on a road trip, there car needs a tank sending unit, the pump went bad but the sender is too rusted out to reuse,  any body know where we can get one over night?
Rockauto don't do overnight shipping
I'm on this sight with my 46,but this is me trying to get a family back on the road. They are stuck here in Atlanta between Detroit and Jacksonville FL  Thanks for any help you can offer
Russell kidd

TJ Hopland

That does appear to be a bit of an odd part.   Looked at my usual places and got nothing.   Wonder what made it unique?  Strange shape tank?   Or something you could modify maybe like the direction the lines go?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

They don't have to be stranded. If the car runs with the new pump they can use their trip odometer to monitor miles driven and figuring a low average they can figure out when they need gas.
Of course the tank will have to come down again to make a second repair for the sender but being stranded due to the fuel sender is a bit like getting trapped on an escalator.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

If it was just a fuel gauge issue I don't think there would be an issue.  He said it was badly rusted, I presume the issue is/was that getting the pump changed on it caused further mechanical and or structural damage.  I have dealt with several where just disconnecting the soft lines damaged what was left of the hard lines because of the rust.  Come to think of it the last one was on an 87 pickup,  that was a one year only thing too that was really hard to find.  Maybe GM found a discount vendor for 87?
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV

RussK

We got them going today, their old sender was just to rusted out to make it work.
we got lucky and found them one in a salvage yard, tank and all.
With their rusty tank (but usable if we had to) replaced, good sender and new pump & filter, they are back on the happy highways of life once again.
I should have taken some pics of the car, it looked like new inside and out. white with burgundy interior.
no real rust underneath ,didn't think changing their pump would have been a problem but sometimes thinks don't go as planed.

The owner said it was his late wife's car, it sat for a few years (I think he said 9) he had some work done to put it back on the road and taking his two daughters on a trip to see his wife's family in Jacksonville FL and Savanna GA
The owner was in his 80s and didn't look to be in good health, his daughter told me he wanted to see her mothers side of the family just one more time.
He must have really loved his wife

Thanks for the help guys 
Russell kidd

76eldo

Russell,

I am glad to read that you got these folks back on the road.  A complete used tank was a great find and a good way to go.
Obviously this man was on a mission with this particular car and it's great that you worked it out for them.  Please accept my apology for my earlier sarcastic remark.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

TJ Hopland

You must have got lucky with the junkyard or they are not crush crazy in your area like they are in most areas now.

Good to hear they are back on the road.

70's cars seemed to just rust out everywhere.   80's they got a few things figured out so the did not look that bad but once you get into them they still rusted pretty bad.   The 90's almost seemed to go back to the 70's for rust.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV