News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955-62 water pump rebuild help

Started by kkarrer, December 16, 2013, 08:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkarrer

Hello,
      I got that 41 finished and I'm now working a 55 convertible and a 55 Eldorado.  I had Terrill Machine rebuild the Eldo water pump, but I thought I'd get a kit and redo the other one on my own.  I've got a high quality kit, but could use a little help from anyone who has done one of these regarding pressing out and pressing in the new seal, impeller (mine is cast and is in good shape) and bearings.  I don't see any snap rings and I've run the unit through my bead blaster and sprayed some PB Blaster on the shaft so I should be ready to go.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken Karrer
1941 6227D coupe
1955 62 convertible
kkarrer@austin.rr.com
512-626-7268

J. Gomez

Ken,

I did the rebuild on my ’56 water pump and frankly it was a bear of a job following the manual.  :(

Fist I had to modify a puller to fit the small groves on the impeller since I did not have the proper J-3211-A tool or similar one for the removal.

Second the removal and installation of the bearing/shaft would need to be done with a hydraulic press. There is also a tool J-3249 which I did not have but was able to take measurements before and after to make sure the bearing was set properly.

Last the seat refinishing tool J-2999-A was also not available but I was able to get a machine shop to smooth the face.

If you do not have these tools on hand just be ready for a tough job, as you may have to do a lot of reversed engineering to get it done.

One last thing I apply a light coat of waterproof grease on the seal and the pump seat.

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Grant Owen

It is best to get someone that rebuilds the to do the job they have all tools etc , I get mine rebuilt here in New Zealand for about $100 & that includes the parts. Not worth the hassle & aggravation doing it yourself.

kkarrer

Thanks guys.  Just thought I'd check with some experts.  I appreciate your reply.
Ken Karrer 1955 model 62 convertible

okccadman

Ken,

We use a great guy in Tulsa.  he charges about $65 and we have had no problems whatsoever.  Turnaround time is about a week.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

66 Eldo

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Send it to Arthur Gould.  He's been doing these forever as well as fuel pumps.  He's
in Hemmings and has a web site.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

walt chomosh #23510

Quote from: 66 Eldo on December 23, 2013, 01:54:54 AM
Who is the "great guy in Tulsa'?
.....the guy is Jerry at (918-834-6779)....I walked into his shop and he had my pump torn down(walking to 2-3 work stations) in approx 45seconds!(it was almost like he does them hourly!) Totally satisfied with his work.