News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

73 Eldorado dash/ stereo help

Started by tlannom, December 18, 2013, 07:36:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlannom

I have a 73 Eldorado Pace Car that the previous owner cut out the dash for a modern radio. Is there an easier way to bring it back to the original radio than replacing the entire dash? The original radio had three cut outs (2 for knobs and one for the radio)

Thanks

The Tassie Devil(le)

In a word..... No.....

Someone cut the dash in my '72 to fit a later radio and butchered it.

Just the other day, I swapped the dash that I had out of a '71, that had also been butchered, but not as bad, and installed my new radio.

You will have to find a good fascia and it takes time to remove the original, as there are a lot of things to unscrew, unplug, and everything is really getting in the way.

The first picture shows the '72 fascia with the cut-out, and an Oil Pressure Gauge hole, and the second one shows the '71 fascia at the bottom, with the knob holes butchered, for a later radio.

The second one gives you an idea of what you end up with to get the dash out so you can change things over.

The last one is with the '71 back in, and the cut-out completed for the new radio.   Never had a good 8 Track to put back in, and the oil pressure gauge removed as I know what the pressure is.

One thing that I found is that these fascia inserts are really hard to cut holes in, as the wood-grain backing is steel.   Had to cut out for the Cruise Control without cutting excess material.   At least, with the radio, the cover plate hides any problems.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

TJ Hopland

Some of the classic radio vendors have a trim plate that would cover a hole like that.  I don't think they will work with a factory radio but do work with the somewhat classic looking radios. 

I didn't know the pace cars had window defrosters.    That did not seem to be a super common option on the converts so finding a dash with the 3 switch holes may be harder than finding one with just the two.    I have a couple parts cars and can't remember if either has the defroster.   They both have original radios.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

The switch panel just pops out with virtually no pressure at all.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

TJ Hopland

Thats good.  That will make it a lot easier to find a replacement.  Too bad the radio section wasn't that way too. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

Pity Cadillac didn't make it easier to access things like the dash light globe as to replace these, one has to remove the top cover to get to them.   With my big hands, it is impossible to get to them from underneath, even after removing the bottom cover.

Having had my dash out a number of times, I always check the globes before putting everything back.

At least, with the flat floor of the Eldorado, life is a lot easier than if there was a transmission hump.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

76eldo

Here's a suggestion.  As much as I hate to see a hold cut in a Cadillac dash, whoever did it did a nice clean job.  I think the opening you have is called a single DIN opening and that size will accommodate most aftermarket radios.  Since it's already done, maybe just go for a modern type AM-FM CD unit?

If you want it to be all stock you will need to get the trim panel from a parts car along with the proper radio.

On a 76-78, there are speed nuts that you can get to from underneath and from inside of the glovebox opening.  73's may be completely different.

One caution, disconnect the battery.  The top switch is hot all the time and will make a smokey mess if you accidentally ground it out.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Thule

my car has a cut panel, and a radio probably from the late 70's, that is getting a antique it self, but is horribly bad, i need to adjust it constantly when i drive,

i must admit that i was kinda pleased with that someone had allready cut it, than i can put some nice radio in it, because i would never cut the panel my self
Ivar Markusson.  icelandic cadillac club (part of CLC)
73 Eldorado coupe.