News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2006 Cadillac STS

Started by Dan Marinola, December 21, 2013, 02:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Marinola

I went to help a friend put a battery in his 2006 STS because he thought that was the problem.  NOT!!!  After driving the car for a very short distance first I noticed the radio quit,then the speedo and tack read zero,next the power seat moved all the way forward and nearly cherished me,dash screen read service A/C then read security system service. Seemed like everything went off for a second then came back on,then the car stopped,the engine quit and nothing at all worked. We coasted to a dead stop,put the car in park and hit the emergency flashers.We exited the car and raised the hood to check the terminals on the battery,everything checked OK. Went to get back in the car and we were locked out,key fob in the car and no spare one with us. Then the emergency flashers quit and the car was like a dead stone,no response from anything! My friends wife came by with the spare key,we opened the door and he got in the car and it started right up and he drove to his home,only a couple of blocks away. He said the car was doing this before he replaced the battery but thought this would be a good place to start. Any ideas guys? Thanks, Dan Marinola
Daniel P. Marinola

Dave Shepherd

Not a battery issue, as the alternator would keep things going till shut off, GM has had issues with the electrical part of the ignition switch,  or loose connection somewhere in the main feed.

Scot Minesinger

Unfortunately this is a take it to the dealer issue.  I own a 2006 Dodge Charger w/Hemi (My 1995 Fleetwood was way better, but Cadillac had no large rear drive replacement car for me) and a similar electrical issue of this type developed after the battery died and I replaced it following every step in the enormous shop manual.  Four days later and only $100 some diode was replaced and all was back to normal.  Not happy that you can't even change a battery without complications.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

Dan Marinola

This could really be a safety issue. I have never seen anything like this before. Suppose this is your wife or daughter using the car when this happens. Everything quitting and locking you out of the car is a real issue for me. The car acted possessed! Why would the emergency flashers quit and the car lockup? He is taking it to the dealer (Cadillac) that sold him the car for repair. I'll keep you posted on the results. Dan Marinola
Daniel P. Marinola