News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

power coating 1941 60 special

Started by mr41cadillac, December 22, 2013, 09:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

my manifolds have pits as well as shiney excellent ares but would look better if done over. i understand it was called power coating. who does this now and or is there an alternative?

markl

John,
No, this is not powder coating!  This is a porcelainizing(sp?) process, similar to what used to be commonly used on cookware, light fixtures etc.  Powder coating (usually Polyester powder coating) can only withstand temperatures up to about 400 F.

So let us know what part of the country (and what country) you are in and then maybe someone can respond w/ an outfit that does this work close to you.  Also, you can check in Hemmings and I think you can find several providers of the process.  The other fairly common Auto engine that had porcelain exhaust manifolds was Jaguar.
So if you know anyone w/ a Jaguar from the 50's, they probably have their favorite provider of this process.

Mark Lowery CLC#25216

mr41cadillac

Bill Ingler #7799

John: I used Prairie Auto Porcelain in MN on my 41. Phone 507-334-9309. Excellent work.  Bill

Scot Minesinger

Powder coating is available for hi temperature applications, exhausts and etc.  Although I agree the porcelain process is more appropriate for this application.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

markl

Scot,
The product you are referring to is not widely available and is very expensive.  It looks better on steel tube or other sub-straights that are essentially smooth.  The porcelain process has the ability to fill, for the most part, the imperfections in cast iron.

One patented process is called Jet Coat (from memory), so look it up.  I think you will be surprised at how expensive it is.  And conventional powder coating curing ovens are not hot enough to cure the material.

Mark Lowery, CLC#25216

Grant Owen

I use High Temp Powder Coating on all my Exhaust Manifolds & Exhaust Systems it does not burn off & it lasts for ever. You can get it in a variety of colors , here in New Zealand where most things are expensive it costs more than regular powder coating but its not that expensive.

Scot Minesinger

I powder coat myself and they have come along way.  Have powder coated hi-temp and it is not expensive at all, like $3 worth of material to coat an exhaust manifold.  Like I wrote in the response, the porcelain coat process is better for this application.

markl

Scot,
Don't mean to beat a dead horse, but I'm curious what the product is that you used on the manifolds in the picture and how high of a cure temperature was required.  The product or process I was trying to reference is Jet-Hot.  They may be a franchise as they have a corporate headquarters in NC and branches in other cities.

Look up Jet-hot on the internet and then scroll down to the Harley Davis forum (www.HDforum.com) and you can see some of the problems that have been noted w/ this product.  The biggest issue is that they do not have a truly "Gloss" black.  All these sorts of coatings (including electrostatic polyester powder coating) tend to dull over time.  The porcelain seems to retain its gloss, the only issue being chipping and spalling.  I read somewhere that Jet-Hot is about 0.002" thickness when properly applied.  I bet that John can verify that the porcelain that remains is closer to 0.060".  That is what gives it the smooth finish on an otherwise rough sub-straight. 

So I would second Bill Inglers recommendation of Prairie Auto Porcelain in MN unless you (John) can find a provider that is closer and has a good track record.  I had mine done by an outfit in Oakland CA years ago and I doubt if they are still in operation.  And John, being in Virginia, doesn't gain anything from that location anyhow.

John: If you do contact Prairie or a similar company, let us know what they say about the desired surface preparation.   I would imagine they want any of the remanent porcelain removed, but they may have an interesting technique that makes this "No big deal".

Mark Lowery CLC #25216

harry s

I have used Prairie several times along with some others. In my opinion Prairie is the best. Their's hold up better maybe due to the fact they have an interior coating that keeps the heat down. They also take special precautions to guard againt warping. They are a little pricey though. John, where do you live in Virginia?      Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Scot Minesinger

Mark,

No problem on beating a dead horse.  being naive at the time did not realize this was anything special.  The can stated "exhaust silver, high temperature".  I bought some coated exhaust parts, brake drums and anything thought would be exposed to high temperatures (over 300'F).  It has held up great.  Cure temp is 450'F.  Just purchased a used residential electric oven and wired it up in my garage.

Thanks,

Scot