News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 Biarritz Data Plate - another plate, another question

Started by Paul Tesone, December 22, 2013, 10:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Tesone

Below is a photo of the data plate on my as yet unrestored 57 Biarritz . The body number is 846 . The "Trim No" is followed by SO 846 . I know the SO stands for "special order " ; but why is it followed by the body number rather than an actual trim number ? The car has a red/white interior . Shouldn't it have a trim number 18 as noted in the MPL manual in addition to the SO designation ? There doesn't appear to be anything "special" about the interior . Could the SO designation refer to the fact that this car has a single four barrell carb and a gold air cleaner/valve covers rather than dual quads ? How do you know what the "SO" refers to ? ........ Thanks , Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Paul,
I'm not sure when they started SO cars after the war. Unlike prewar cars, the postwar SO was specific for trim or paint & didn't wipe out both for the SO of one like the prewar cars did. So... in your case there's something different about your interior.  If it was the standard trim 18... it wouldn't be an SO, right? I'm not sure if the cars built sheet for 57 shows anything.  Good luck.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Paul Tesone

Thanks Bob - I'll order a build sheet and see if it provides any information . ..Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Walter Youshock

Something was Special Ordered on your car--the staples on the plate were there for a paper tag.  As for exactly what it was, you won't know without the Build Sheet.

The "Q" engine was OPTIONAL on the Eldos for '57.  The gold air cleaner and valve covers went with the "Q" engine.  My guess is that yours were repainted at some time.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Paul,

I maintain a Database for the Mark II Forum (’56 & ’57 Continental MK II’s). Fortunately Ford maintained DSO orders for cars on the invoices so it’s easy to identify what was “special”. Some invoices have only a single item identified. We’ve established that DSO was used for cars that did not follow recommended colors or trim configurations and noted only the exceptions. It’s possible  that your cars has very minor changes to the standard configuration, like using smooth ’62 Series leather or having the metal garnishes painted red instead of white  - or vice versa. Walter’s correct that something, possibly very minor,  is not according to the standard configuration.

HTH,
Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Paul Tesone

Very interesting - I'll post my findings once I receive the build sheet . Thanks all , Paul Tesone CLC #6876

Quentin Hall

Gold air cleaner and valve covers were standard on the Eldo regardless of whether dual quads or single four barrel were ordered.
My old Black Biarritz was a four barrel car but had original paint gold air cleaner and valve covers. Merry Christmas. Q
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz