News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

drive shaft 41 60 special

Started by mr41cadillac, December 24, 2013, 07:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

was the drive shaft  originally painted on a new 41 60 special ? thanks john

Bill Ingler #7799

I have seen one very original 41 60 special and it had a painted drive shaft. You will find very few parts on a 41 60 special chassis that were not painted. Most everything was painted a semi gloss/ chassis black paint. Not painted were fuel lines, brake and hydraulic lines, carburetor, master cylinder and various nuts and bolts. On my 41-60special I used chassis black from Eastwood.    Bill

mr41cadillac

thanks bill I treated with ospho now im going to paint it. also any advice on cleaning the needle bearing?. I took one apart cleaned old hardened grease and repacked . the needles all looked fine.thanks

harry s

Taking the universals apart, cleaning and repacking is definately a good idea. It is the only sure way to be sure everything is properly lubricated.    Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

Bill Ingler #7799

John: I can`t remember on your previous posts if changing the rear axle bearings and seals has been discussed. The old original New Departure axle bearing should be replaced with new bearings which brings up a problem that might show up after you have everything back together. A friend out here in Phoenix said he has a clunk in the rear end that he hears when the car starts to move forward after shifting out of reverse. The clunk is caused because he did not have the axle nuts torqued to between 285 and 315 ft lbs. Unless the axle nuts are torqued correctly against the drum, the axle will move inside the drum, the drum moves against the axle key and you will hear a clunk. It takes a large 1&5/8 socket, torque wrench and plenty of arm strength but the axle nuts need to be tight.    Bill 

mr41cadillac

bill I changed the rear end fluid but as ive never driven the car I don't know the condition of the rear end, thought iwould drive it 1st. I still have to install throw hout bearing attach transmission and install.