News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Engine Numbers

Started by M. Bankes, December 24, 2013, 08:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M. Bankes

Hi,
I am rebuilding my 1959 Cadillac engine and just wanted to check the numbers on the block. The casting number by the bell housing is 1469230, which I found indicates it is a 1959-1963 390 CID, but there is also another number stamped on it that looks to be 96X81428. Does anyone know what this is ? Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks
Mike Bankes

Matt Innocenzi

Mike,  where is this other number stamped?  The number that links your engine to the VIN stamped on the chassis is located on the side of the block between the freeze plugs.  I think it is on the left side of the block between cylinders 1 and 3, but it may be on the right side between cylinders 2 and 4.  Hope this helps.  Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

M. Bankes

Hi,
Thanks, this 96X number is stamped on the bell housing area of the block.
I thought the number that matched it to the car was on the " tab " that stuck away from the block in front of the pass side head ? that's where it is on older ones, but not on this one, did they change this on 1959 ? or is the one on the side of the block where you say in addition to this on normally on the front ?
Thanks
Michael

Matt Innocenzi

Mike,

I can't for certain, but 96X may be a date code - 9 for '59 6 for June and X for the day.  Again, that is a guess.

As for the VIN, the tab you referred to was on Chevrolet engines, not Cadillac.  All of the 390s from '59 through '62 had the VIN stamped on the side of the block.  I am fairly certain it is on the left side of the block.  I attached a pic of the location of my 1960 number for reference. 

Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

curly

The factory manual shows that 96x81428 number is the engine serial number.  96x indicates a base engine w/o A/C. 
This applies to all 1959 Series 60, 62, 63, 64, 67, 68.  There should be a 96x cast into the top of the block behind the left cyl head, in the bell housing area.

The numbers are the engine serial number and should  match the numbers on the frame rail and the lube plate on the drivers door.

TLewis