News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Tie downs on a trailer

Started by lou-q, December 25, 2013, 10:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lou-q

We ordered a new trailer that our Caddy will fit in and was wondering what your input would be.
How would you tie down the front end of 39 coupe in a trailer. There are 8 D ring on the floor of the trailer. The rear should be no problem, I'm not sure where to tie the front from.
Thanks,
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

The Tassie Devil(le)

Tie down the front axle, so that as the body bounces up and down, it won't loosen the ties.   But, tie it down with the ropes angling forwards, and the same thing at the rear, tie down the diff, but with the tiedowns angled to the rear..

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

Make sure that the d rings are through bolted with a plate or large washers backing them up.
If they are just screwed into the floor with wood screws you hay want to modify that setup.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Dan LeBlanc

I also crisscross mine. Right gets tied on left and vice versa.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

lou-q

Thanks,
The D rings are from the factory (Featherlite), and are rated to hold a car, the floor is all aluminum and reinforced at the tie downs.
My main question is what part on the front end can I strap it to so I don't damage any of the steering components.
For the rear end I can use axle straps on an angle to rear D rings.

Thanks again,
Lou Quirch
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Roadmaster75

In addition to the excellent tie down advice….
My suggestion is this:

When loading or unloading valuable old cars onto or into a trailer, I prefer
to winch them in in a slow, controllable manner.  The times I REALLY needed to trailer
an old car were not always for "fun",  like a car show…

Taking it to a shop for some service or getting it safely home due to some
mechanical or electrical problem is when you need the nice new trailer the most!

It's tough getting 5000 pounds of dead weight up those ramps & down again safely!

I use a SuperWinch 3500 bolted flat on the front floor of the trailer. 
(Easily pulled a 6000 pound Rolls into the trailer
and eased the old girl down when the starter went south)

You don't need a helper & you don't
have to contemplate crawling into the car through the window or in tight quarters.
Lurching it up and down ramps under its own power is a hazard that can be avoided.

my 2 cents

lou-q

Thanks Mike,
A winch is a must. We also show hit and miss engines and have to use a winch or a lot of help to load them.
We are having a winch box installed at the factory that is flush with the floor when not in use and will hold up to a 9000lb winch.
What part of the front end would you use to winch the car in and where would you tie it down from/.
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

harry s

Lou, Sounds like a really nice trailer. I was looking at the Featherlite website recently and really like the quality of their trailers. I also like that they are about 800# liter than their steel counter part.  I usually attach the front tie downs to the A frame and extend them straight out front then attach the rears over the spring just ahead of the axle being watch full of the brake lines and criss cross them. There is a lot of motion at the rear of the trailer and some folks secure the rear frame to eliminate the bounce. Two other things to be mind full of are keeping the running board trim pieces away from the wheel wells and also to check the tie downs after about 50 to 100 miles as they stretch and usually need to be tightened again. Also, I love those hit "n" miss engines.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

76eldo

You can pull down on the control arms or frame. Avoid hooking to a tie rod or sway bar.
You should see something under there to get a hook on.
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

KD

I use over the tire straps that has a ratchet strap and hooks at both ends and never had any problems.
KD CLC#26801
Ken Dennison

1935 Auburn S/C Cabroilet
1940 Cadillac V16 7 passenger Imperial Sedan (9033)
1929 Ford Closed Cab Pick Up
1960 Austin Healey Sprite

lou-q

KD,
This trailer does not have the set/up for tire straps, even though it would be ideal.
Harry, they make very nice trailers. We have a gooseneck horse trailer and love it.
So we bit the bullet and ordered a 32' toy hauler with an 8' gooseneck with a QUEEN BED. up front.
Can't wait to see it.
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

harry s

That sounds really nice. Show us a picture when you get it.     Harry
Harry Scott 4195
1941 6733
1948 6267X
2011 DTS Platinum

lou-q

I just received an e mail from our Featherlite dealer saying that they can install aluminum A Track, they are welded in and should hold any car.
If we use the A Track we would be able to use wheel nets. I think that the wheel nets that tie down along the sides would be better and easier to use than the ones that tie in line with the tires.
With that said I was thinking of spacing them about 72" which is wider than any track of any car I might load (67 convertible has a 62.5 track).
Any input is welcomed!

Thanks,
Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

harvey b

Lou, I have a similar trailer I use to move my old caddys in too,i only use the floor tie downs,i tie the rear axle with the little tow straps and run chains to the rear hooks nd on the front I criss cross them from the lower control arms.In my trailer I think it would be tight to use the wheel nets,there isn't a lot of room on the sides to wiggle in there to put them on properly,i would definetly get the E-track on the side walls,it is great for holding stuff in place when moving,Also an awning is a great think to have,i love mine. What are you using to haul it,Diesel power is the only way to go,my F250 moves mine along real nice,cant even feel it when you get rolling.,i also use it to store the car in when it is at home,i would be lost without it. Harvey
Harvey Bowness

lou-q

Harvey,

Is your  trailer  8' 6" wide? How long is your trailer without the gooseneck area?
Ours will be 32' but only has two axles (8000 ea).
Our Caddy is just over 5 feet wide, so that's why I was thinking of running the A track on the side.
Thanks for the input.

Lou
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

harvey b

Lou,i think it is 8.6 wide,it is a 2006 Haulmark, the floor is 24 feet with 8 overhang,i put my 37 and 38 in it easily,however the inner fenders do protrude inside,i have about 5 inches on each side of them when the car is perfectly centered,i can squeeze out over the fenders as my doors are higher,it is tght in there.are you getting the mid side door?,one that opens so you can open the car door and get out that way,if not you may have to do it dukes of hazard style?.These trailers look huge,but when you put the car in it is a lot tighter,also keep a pair of coveralls handy for tieing the car down,it is a dirty job.I put a driveway marker on my rear fenders on the inside to help me park the car in the trailer,it gives me a guide when parking by my self,the first time you load the car have a spotter to watch you.My trailer has a beavertail on the back to make it easier to load,it isn't as high on the back.Also the first time try and do it alone,i hate an audience for these type of things,it will help your patience,nothing worse then a bunch of "experts" telling you what to do. I cant get you any pictures of my "guidepost" as the trailer is snowed in and I cant get the rear door down/.Another thing is make sure you have ample clearance between the truck and the front of the trailer when making a sharp turn,I found that out the hardway,busted my rear window and damaged the rear cab corner on the truck,have since moved my hitch back an inch,that was all it took :-\. Good Luck with your trailer,you wont regret having one. Harvey
Harvey Bowness

lou-q

Thanks Harvey,

Ours has a side door in front of the wheel wells. The garage part is 20 feet, with the living quarters 12 feet and the gooseneck overhang 8 feet for the bed.
With our car inside we should have around 16" on each side.
I won't be seeing this trailer until sometime in April.

Thanks again for your input.
Lou Quirch

Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us

harvey b

Lou, my trailer is 32 long,is yours going to be 40 feet long? Wow,thats a big trailer.You better practice backing that up in tight quarters. ;D I wish mine had "living quarters",we could crash in the overhang,but have never had the chance yet,i am not real comfortable hauling it around,as I only use it 2-3 times a year and do not have the practice to feel confident with it yet. Harvey
Harvey Bowness

lou-q

Harvey,
Ours will be 40' including the 8' for the gooseneck.
The garage will be 20" and the living quarters 12' plus the 8' for the overhang, with a queen size bed in the overhang.
Our old toy haulers are 26'X 8'6" and the other is 28' X 8' but they are bumper pull. We have one at our farm in Indiana and the other one is in Florida. We presently use them at antique tractor and engine shows for hauling our hit & miss engines, They are both too small for hauling our antique cars, so we have them both for sale now. I can't wait to see how much easier it will be towing with a gooseneck instead of the bumper pulls. Our horse trailer is a Featherlite gooseneck and I love the way it tows (don't even know it's back there).
Lou Quirch
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
3 F250 Ford P/Us