News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1959 Cadillac Eldorado rocker moulding remove

Started by knorren, December 30, 2013, 12:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knorren

Hi,

I need to change my rocker mouldings on my 59 Eldorado and I wonder how I remove them! I see  the screws under the rocker panel. But it must be something more or?

Regards
Ola
Ola Halvarsson

Bill Caddyshack

Remove the screws and you should be able to lift the rocker away from the car. There are clips hidden under the rocker that hold the upper edge.  You will see when you do this. Easy job

knorren

Ola Halvarsson

Quentin Hall

On the upper edge there is screwed straps over  guard and rear quarter that should be loosenedbefore hand. I'd also take the predation of taping the body side asit is easy to scotch at the moment it releases. You will have to take out the back seat and get your hand in below the window mechanism. Not quite as easy as you think.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

wrefakis

hi I research 59 Eldorado's possible to get some photos,body number,vehicle history?
thanks
bill refakis

59-in-pieces

Ola,
As stated by others, there are screws on the underside of the rocker SS which must be removed - first.
In the areas just below the doors, the center section of the rocker SS is held in place by clips.  The clips are mounted to the rocker panel itself by snapping them into rectangular holes in the sheet metal.  See Photo.
The front and rear of the rocker SS is held onto the rear of the front fenders and in front of the rear wheel well opening by long straps held to the sheet metal by bolts welded to the straps, and which are shaped/contoured like the center clips.  See Photo.
Because the straps are often rusted, the bolts detach from the straps.  I took a clip to a metal guy who fabricated new straps with the same contours as the clip, and welded on new bolts.
After loosening the nuts to the straps, and using a block of wood, tap slowly from the bottom of the SS in each area - starting from the front or back of the SS trim while supporting it along the way so it doesn't come off and bend without the support.
Hope the description was helpful, along with the photos.
Have Fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher