News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1937 60 series throttle cable.

Started by Steve Rinaldo, December 31, 2013, 11:20:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Rinaldo

On my 1937 60 series the throttle knob pulled out of the cable and I have no fast idle. Doest anyone have a good repair procedure [ I tried JB Weld no hold]. Or does anyone have one they would sell. Thanks, Steve

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

What I do on these is go to the auto parts store and buy the cheapest after market hand throttle/choke you can find.  Take all of the original out of the car.  I am assuming 37 is the same as 38, 39 and 40.  Remove the old wire and knob from the spring steel outer jacket.  Slit lengthwise the crimp that holds the outer jacket to the original housing that fits in the dash.  On your new throttle cable remove the wire from the jacket and cut a section of the jacket the same length as the original.  Make sure the ends are clear after you make the cut by testing the new wire in it.  The jacket is spring steel so you need to use a small cutoff grinder for the cut.  Place this new outer jacket into the original housing and close the cut slit the best you can.  Solder this connection using the least solder possible so you don't fill the hole in the outer jacket.  It helps to tin the parts before you put them together.  Now remove the wire from the original handle if it is not already broken.  These are crimped in a slot in the handle rod.  Clean this slot out of any old material and insert the new wire in the slot.  Solder this connection also.  Now place the new wire in the jacket and you have a completely new throttle cable.  Best to make the wire a little longer than it was originally and make the final cut after it is installed back on the car. 
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

Steve Rinaldo