News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Need a Stromberg AAV 26 Carb

Started by James Gray, January 01, 2014, 05:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gray

Bummer,

As I am still waiting for my Authenticity book to arrive (just registered and order the book) I dig in to remove the carburetor only to discover the thing doesn't look right. IT'S A CARTER!!! Expletive!!! I'm digging around hoping to find the correct carb and find this on Ebay, but it does look correct either. ????? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stromberg-AAV-26-Carburetor-Buick-Cadillac-Packard-1941-40-39-38-37-36-/380802287538?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a995c7b2&vxp=mtr   Close but I'm not sure.

Anyone have a good source for the carburetor? And what the appropriate price to pay is?
Maj. James F Gray Ret.
Kristie Koepplin RN BSN

Member # 28494
1942 Cadillac Series 6269

joeceretti

Is this for your 42? As far as I know the 62 Series 1942 came with either a Carter or a Stromberg.

For Carter it would be a WCD 486S and if Stromberg would be AAV-26 205-10A.

Is your Carter the 486S? If so I suspect it is actually correct.

James Gray

I have a couple pictures but they are on my phone. Can't transfer just yet. Where would I locate the id number?
Maj. James F Gray Ret.
Kristie Koepplin RN BSN

Member # 28494

joeceretti

The Carter typically would have a thin stamped metal triangular tag under one of the screws. There should also be the number 385 on the casting.

EDIT: I doubt that the carb on ebay is the correct one in any case.

joeceretti

Here's what a typical Carter tag looks like...

James Gray

I found the tab. It is a 486S. Phew. I guess it's best if I wait for the book before I go to far.

I have the factory original Shop Manual that Carl received with the car and it only mentions the Stromberg carburetor so I assumed it was incorrect.

I'll go attempt to locate the other number now.
Maj. James F Gray Ret.
Kristie Koepplin RN BSN

Member # 28494

joeceretti

I think the first cars had the Stromberg and they switched part way through to the Carter. Possibly why the manual only says Stromberg since it would have been made up ahead of time. This is just conjecture though.

James Gray

How certain are you the carb is correct?
Maj. James F Gray Ret.
Kristie Koepplin RN BSN

Member # 28494

joeceretti

Just about 100%. I have a chart of carbs installed on all models of Cadillacs and LaSalles for all years from 1937 to 1951. I'm sure I got the chart from these forums but I have so many documents I can't recall whom I got it from. Thank you to the member who sent it. :)

I think the fact of my chart specifying 486S and your car having a 486S is pretty good evidence.

James Gray

Maj. James F Gray Ret.
Kristie Koepplin RN BSN

Member # 28494

joeceretti

Happy to give back help for all the great help I have received here.

Steve Passmore

The one on ebay is defiantly for Cadillac as it has the flout bowl overflow necessary on a V8,  Buick and Packard never used this overflow system.
Earlier and all V8 Cadillacs up to 41 came with Stromburg,  except the V16 which had Carters.    La Salles  also used Carters.

Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Bill Ingler #7799

As Steve pointed out in his posting, the carb on ebay is for Cadillac and also shows an arm lever which is for attaching a cable for a manual throttle with hand control from the dash. I am not as familiar with the 42 as I am the 46-7 but I don`t think the 42 had a manual hand throttle. If I am correct, then what is on ebay is for a 41 or earlier Cadillac and not 42.      Bill

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

Folks,

I published this in the SS years ago, but since there is some confusion on Carburetors thought I would try an post it here.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

James Gray

John, there may be less confusion among those who've done this before. Me?... This is my first. And as I've been told and are rapidly discovering my vehicle is 100% original and I will keep her this way while making her new again.

That said, some of the question I ask may appear redundant. This is to say, it has been a long time since I've worked on a vehicle. My first car ever, I built myself. A 69 Olds Gutless 442. Bad motor, no tranny or rear end. Interior looked like it was blown in by an attic insulation guy and there was no top. Took all summer but I made it a reliable driver through sheer determination. That car was far from original but it was my first, it was scary fast and got me through a lot of great dates. Except that one where I thought it would be cool to coil 2 springs together to prop up the rear end and get that speek rake angle going.

Now, I am very mechnically inclined. Enginuitive I might add. I have never failed at completing a project accurately and I am not about to start now. I have retired once but I am pre-50 and want to have a nice retirement toy that is original, just like me and good looking in it's old age just like...well...  I say "have retired once", because my wife wanted the oversize new house in southern CA where the dirt is expensive. No kiddiing. So I have to pay for that somehow and I am too old, too fat and my responsibilities were too dangerous for a family man to re-enlist.

I will be bugging you all for a ton of information. I am buying, gathering, collecting and developing every morsal of knowledge I can about this vehicle. I have ordered the authenticity book, service books, manuals, sale brochure, literature and even enlisted my Uncle who used to paint the old Caddies pre and post war. Now I have to park the car in the driveway so I have room for all of this literature. Haaaa... just kidding.

So here come the questions... starting yesterday.

Thank you all,
Maj. James F Gray Ret.
Kristie Koepplin RN BSN

Member # 28494

gary griffin

James, My 1942-6719  has a Carter also but it is not here to see if it has the tag. I was amazed that it has an automatic choke as I thought they came along later and there is a "Furnace" a cover to on the passenger side exhaust manifold to heat up the automatic choke I believe! More later.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

James Gray

Gary,

Hey bud. How are you?

That picture was posted by Joe. I found the tag on mine (driver-side rear lower bolt of the Carb). It is a WCD Carter 486S. I am told this is a better carb as well so BONUS. Joe also shared with me a source for the service manual for this carb and a whole slew of other helpful information as well. Just from you 2 and John Washburn I have obtained far mor information and knowledge than I had hoped to gain in at least a year. I am absolutely exstatic that I had stumbled upon the CLC.

PS. Did you notice? I finally registered  with the CLC and are about to send the check for my local chapter this weekend. I've also got a helpful friend in here that has an easier way to post pictures.
Maj. James F Gray Ret.
Kristie Koepplin RN BSN

Member # 28494

John Washburn CLC 1067 Sadly deceased.

James,

I am glad you joined this bunch of Cadillac addict's.

I hope you did not take my post wrong was not trying to criticize, just trying to help.

AS to the belief that Carter is better than Stromberg or vice versa one can argue long about this but both have their merits. I am not going to get into this discussion, but the Carter will do the job that is what counts.

The Johnny
John Washburn
CLC #1067
1937 LaSalle Coupe
1938 6519F Series Imperial Sedan
1949 62 Series 4 Door
1949 60 Special Fleetwood
1953 Coupe DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille
1992 Eldorado Touring Coupe America Cup Series

James Gray

Absolutely not John. I never interpret people's words. I take them at face value. Your post was not just to help me but to help any others that may stumble upon the post in search of answer similar to those I sought. And I appreciate that as much as I do if I were to assume it were just for me.

Thank you,
Maj. James F Gray Ret.
Kristie Koepplin RN BSN

Member # 28494