News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

ground straps cables for 41 60 special

Started by mr41cadillac, January 02, 2014, 07:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

I need any info. on all the ground straps and battery cables their length material etc to give maximum grounding. this 41 60 special engine and transmission is ready on a dry day to go back in. I only had 1 strap a short piece n on passenger side when disassembled.  my friend says get regular strap and he will solder the ends better. thanks john 

Bill Ingler #7799

John: Enclosed pictures are from the Master Parts Book showing length of cables. If I were you and wanted maximum starting power from your 6 volt battery then I would wait until I had the engine in the car. Then I would measure for the cables use 00 welding cable to make up your battery cables. Since the 41 is a positive ground I would then run the positive cable from the positive post on the battery and ground it to one of the 3 bolts holding the starter to the bell housing. Remember the engine is sitting on two front rubber engine mounts and the tranny is resting on a rubber mount. Rubber doesn`t make a good ground so you want as much ground as possible with a 6 volt system. The third picture is the grounding on my 47. I know the short copper ground strap you see on the right front engine mount was also used on the 41 but what I can`t remember if the 41 also used the two copper ground straps from the engine to the firewall. I sold my 60s several years ago so maybe someone with a 41 will comment if there are grounding straps from the engine to the dash on a 41.   Bill

mr41cadillac

thanks again bill. I believe you replied a while back but I couldn't retrieve your message. that's a beautiful engine looks exactly like mine  I will get the correct ones now john

mr41cadillac

bill or anyone do you know where I can order the braided ground straps like original thanks john

Bill Ingler #7799

John: I know of no one making the exact copper woven metal ground straps. Rhode Island Wiring has flat woven metal battery ground strap material in their catalog.http://www.riwire.com/ but they don`t say what type metal.  What I would do is call Eddie Jones in MN 612-558-2629 and see if he has them on any cars in his yard. Also try John Gatley in MA at 617-445-3300.  I would try for used original rather than new repro. The old straps will clean up nicely. If no luck finding them, put a want add in this forum and someone will have them.   Bill

Classic

I believe most braided ground straps today are tin plated copper.  But searching the Internet for:  copper ground strap braided -tin -tinned  shows several sources for bare copper braided ground straps.  I suggest you contact your favorite vintage harness supplier.  I suspect they will either have it or can point you in the right direction.
Gene Menne
CLC #474

las39

Quote from: Classic on January 05, 2014, 11:55:19 AM
I believe most braided ground straps today are tin plated copper.  But searching the Internet for:  copper ground strap braided -tin -tinned  shows several sources for bare copper braided ground straps.  I suggest you contact your favorite vintage harness supplier.  I suspect they will either have it or can point you in the right direction.
They are sold on eBay. From China. They have different length. 160927154067
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

joeceretti

The price on that strap is sure good with free shipping but, out of stock. :(

las39

I'm sure they'll mass produce if you order 1000 pieces :)
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

Jay Friedman

John,

I have a 9 inch long ground strap similar to the 2 on Bill Ingler's motor I'm willing to sell.  It was originally to ground the engine (cylinder head) to the firewall on a '49.  Email me separately at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com if interested. 

Jay
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."