News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Rear bumper filler bezels on a 1976 Cadillac

Started by Jeff Moffo, January 02, 2014, 09:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Moffo

Good Morning and Happy New Year.

I already know the answer to this...but I thought MAYBE someone might have some ideas.
I own a wonderful, never-been-in-the-rain-snow, 1976 Cadillac in pretty much all original condition EXCEPT the bumper fillers were replaced about 4 years ago by the previous owner.

They replaced the chrome edge molding that ran along the fillers - horizontally and vetically - with the new plastic edging that comes with the new ABD fillers.  I HATE IT, and I am hoping some company would make a reproduction edge that MATCHED the original with its proper angles and flatter, squared-off profile.

Would anyone know a source to get older ones even if they have to be pieced together?  Or maybe would anyone know if a company is working on the proper edge?  It really does make a difference on the rear of the car...especially for us 75 and 76 Cadillac enthusiasts!
Thanks
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

Barry

I have hoped for so long someone would make either an aluminum or stainless steel trim for these. There seems to be no other alternative. The sharp bends can somewhat be achieved by scoring the underside of the plastic trim allowing it to better follow the shape of the filler. Was fortunate enough to use my original plastic trim on the Bicentennial, but will not have that option on the Talisman. I think the market would support a quality reproduction on this ! Barry Norman
Barry Norman
1958 Biarritz
1961Biarritz
1976 Bicentennial
1976 Fleetwood Talisman
1961Continental Convertible

76eldo

It's hard to make the door edge plastic stuff look correct.
I can't see anyone spending the money to tool up for these either.
The original plastic parts were an extrusion with the notches punched in them. GM probably spent tons of money on the tooling or subbed it out to a 3rd party company.

I have a few NOS trims for Eldo and possibly one for a DeVille that was shipped to me by someone who thought it was an Eldo piece. They are different.

I'm keeping a set for my 76 Eldo but may be willing to part with some of these.

Last set that was sold went for $275.00 which is a lot for what these are. They were probably $30 a pair back when the dealers stocked them.

The other problem is that the fillers are a little different than he original pliable material and its just a huge pain to get these looking right.  Even low mileage originals are not immune to these falling apart and breaking the plastic edge trim in half.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Paul Tesone

Brian - could you or someone else post a picture of an original filler trim piece ? Is the trim one piece or two that abutt each other at the top ? Thanks , Paul Tesone CLC #6876

76eldo

One piece.

I'm snowed in at the moment, ill get to the garage tomorrow.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

kevinanderson

I found "chrome" edging at NAPA that was just a bit more narrow than the original strips. I cut out sections of the back side/underside of the chrome stripping and it laid out well. Split  a small length to run up the filler along license plates. I must admit it looks original. BUT, for all the hours I spent sanding and filling in to make it all fit near perfect. Not to mention all of the tiny washers I used to space everything into alignment. And I filled in imperfections in the rub strips with  JB weld(messed up edging-compression dents), wet sanded out and then vinyl spray painted. Turned out really well.
Kevin

Jeff Moffo

Would you have a link to that website's item?
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green