News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Is there any Assembly Instruction manual for 1956 Cadillac?

Started by smilasm, January 02, 2014, 02:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smilasm

Hello,
just restoring my 1956 Sedan Deville and looking for some info. Few years ago I was working on 75 Corvette, and had Assembly Instruction Manual,it was very helpful.Is there any for Cadillac 56,with the pictures how and where parts fitted on the car?
Thank you
Marius Smilas

1956 Sedan DeVille  http://bit.ly/1hsWhri

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Other than a shop manual, no. Sorry. There are just not enough '56 Cadillacs around to make such an effort feasible.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

35-709

If you can find a parts book they have "blow-aparts" that show many areas in their unassembled form and how they go together.  'Bout as close as you are going to come.   
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Coupe Deville

I have the master parts list for a 56' Cadillac. It doesn't have diagrams of everything but the pictures and diagrams it does have are really intense and detailed. I would be happy to send you pictures of the book of specific areas.

Good Luck!

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

smilasm

Gavin,
can you please send me the cover and few pictures (vacuum diagram and under dash).Is that master parts list for 56 Cadillac only?I will try to find and buy one.I just received parts book for 53-65 on cd from ebay,but it's just few diagrams for 56,lists with part no.only and diagrams for other years.I don't know what is the best and more useful to buy for 1956.
my email: smilas@v-2.lt
Thank you

Marius Smilas

Jay Friedman

The Cadillac factory did publish for internal use a manual entitled "Manufacturing Information" for the guidance of engineers, foreman and even assembly line workers putting together the new cars.  I don't know if such a publication exists for 1956 Cadillacs, but I have copies of the 1940 and 1949 manuals.  Needless to say they are invaluable for restorers as they do have drawings and explanations of how most components are assembled as well as the torque specs of practically every nut and bolt in the car.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

smilasm

Yes Jay,that's what I am talking about. I think it should be for every year and model.
Marius Smilas

Jay Friedman

Yes, they must exist for every model year, but I wouldn't know where to find a '56 version.  Both of mine were given to me by friends.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Alan Harris CLC#1513

I have wondered about this for years. If other GM divisions had assembly manuals, Cadillac must have had them too.

If 1940 and 1949 exist, there must have been other years.

las39

Quote from: Jay Friedman on January 04, 2014, 12:13:39 PM
The Cadillac factory did publish for internal use a manual entitled "Manufacturing Information" for the guidance of engineers, foreman and even assembly line workers putting together the new cars.  I don't know if such a publication exists for 1956 Cadillacs, but I have copies of the 1940 and 1949 manuals.  Needless to say they are invaluable for restorers as they do have drawings and explanations of how most components are assembled as well as the torque specs of practically every nut and bolt in the car.

Are those you have scanned as pdf? I'd be interested in a copy of 1940. Thanks
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

C.R. Patton II

Hello Marius

Glad to read you are improving your Cadillac.

I would recommend the acquisition of:
(1) Class 15 Authenticity Manual 1954-1956 Cadillac
(2) Cadillacs of the Fifties by Roy Schneider
(3) Are you a CLC National member and a regular participant in a region near your residence?
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

If anyone is looking for the 1940 Manufacturing Info I have made some copies.  These are off of microfilm so they are not perfect but readable on 99% of the material.  Email direct to brad(at)ipsengarage(dot)com.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

smilasm

I am not a CLC member yet, I am new with Cadillacs, but I will try to become a member soon  :) I just trying to choose in membership. And it's sad but we don't have any residence near Lithuania.
Thank you for recommendations.
Marius Smilas

C.R. Patton II

Hello Marius

I appreciate your enthusiasm to learn about your Cadillac.

When you become a CLC National member you will officially be a part of our family. We have a great International Affiliates Vice President, Mrs. Toni Nabholz Huse, who encourages and supports CLC international affiliate membership and participation. Perhaps you can contact CLC member Tor Jonsson tj@devold.no to start an affiliate chapter?

Personally, I will plan to visit Lithuania to see your Cadillac.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

smilasm

Thank you.You are welcome,I will be happy to meet you in LT.Are you planing to visit Power Big Meet 2014 in Sweden?If I manage to finish the work on my car till summer,I think I will go there.I was there in 2011 and 2012 with my Corvette,then I sold it.It is a perfect meet.
Marius Smilas

las39

Quote from: smilasm on January 06, 2014, 06:32:09 AM
Thank you.You are welcome,I will be happy to meet you in LT.Are you planing to visit Power Big Meet 2014 in Sweden?If I manage to finish the work on my car till summer,I think I will go there.I was there in 2011 and 2012 with my Corvette,then I sold it.It is a perfect meet.
Power Big Meet the one i Västerås? Been there couple of times. It's massive :)
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert