News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1957 365 series 62 Rochester quadrant carburetor question

Started by Ramon58, January 02, 2014, 02:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramon58

I'm doing a ground up restoration on a one owner 62 HT coupe. I had the 365 bored .010 over and have the car in running condition to drive a half mile to the paint booth down the street. Here's the question. The rebuilt QJet works but runs with choke half on all the time. If I manually take the choke off while the engine is running it dies every time. It of course runs real rich in this state. Don't know what to do. My father, a certified Cadillac Service Technician rebuilt the carb to bench specs (26 years of service) but we're both stumped on what to do to get the carb working correctly.

Any suggestions?
R. Moore

Walter Youshock

Must be Carburetor Season.  I suggest you get the correct Carter for it...  As for rebuilding it--there were about a dozen measurement modifications on the '57 Rochester.  If it was rebuilt to the original Shop Manual specs, expect problems.

Also, does it still have the original "Choke Modifier" with the linkage from the primary butterflies to the choke housing or was that bypassed?  That was ALWAYS trouble.

This will most likely be moved to the Tech section...
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

35-709

IF you have the original Rochester carb on your '57 it is not a Quadrajet, if that is what you mean by quadrant.  The Rochester Quadrajet (Q'jet) was not introduced on Cadillacs until 1967, unless you have modified or replaced the manifold to accept a Q'jet.  Assuming you have the stock 4GC Rochester, it would appear that it needs to come back apart to see what is wrong.  There is nothing wrong with a properly rebuilt Rochester although they are said to be a little more trouble to get right on the rebuild.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

Jon S

Quote from: 35-709 on January 02, 2014, 07:31:05 PM
IF you have the original Rochester carb on your '57 it is not a Quadrajet, if that is what you mean by quadrant.  The Rochester Quadrajet (Q'jet) was not introduced on Cadillacs until 1967, unless you have modified or replaced the manifold to accept a Q'jet.  Assuming you have the stock 4GC Rochester, it would appear that it needs to come back apart to see what is wrong.  There is nothing wrong with a properly rebuilt Rochester although they are said to be a little more trouble to get right on the rebuild.

Totally agree - I was going to reply precisely the same!

Jon
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT