News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 Eldorado Seville Prototype?

Started by redsails, January 03, 2014, 11:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsails

Anyone else see this?

http://rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1064272

Found some additional information about it:

"This one-off Prototype is one of the finest and most unique vehicles Cadillac ever built. Many interesting features not available at the time can be found incorporated in this design. Quad headlights not available until 1958 and Dagmar bumpers were not seen until 1957; along the rear many small chrome pieces accent the bumper. The vehicle has 56,000 original miles and in mint condition. The vehicle has been in the private collection of a Cadillac enthusiast and not offered for sale since 1978. The sister car to this vehicle is the 1956 Seville Motorama show car that sold at auction in 2006 for over $730,000."

Brian C.

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Chris Conklin

Does that estimate of $70K - $90K seem low to anybody but me?
Chris Conklin

redsails

Quote from: Chris Conklin on January 03, 2014, 04:46:05 PM
Does that estimate of $70K - $90K seem low to anybody but me?

I thought so too. I could see it very easily bring more.

Brian C.

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Not a Motorama car, not a prototype, and not the first one I have seen. There are a number of quad headlight modified Caddies around. I have also seen a few Mark II Continentals with similar "improvements".

This was a popular thing for customizers to do at one time. If you look at a circa 1960 JC Whitney catalogue, there was even a kit sold for this purpose.

C.R. Patton II

Hello Alan

I appreciate the tip. I thought it was unique and a low estimate. I can put my money belt back in the vault.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I may very well be in error but I do not believe this to be an example of a casually "modified" car. The front fenders and hood do not appear stock '56 Cadillac to my eyes, and the rubber tip inserts in the Dagmars are most certainly not. Additionally the size & shape of the front turn signal cutouts also appear smaller than stock '56 - again to my eyes.

In lieu of a preponderance of evidence to the contrary, my money's on the car being a design studio creation - given the extent & type of the alterations. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

It would be nice if the car came with some kind of documentation.  Otherwise, it could
be "anything".  Thus, I think that's why the auction estimate is on the low side.  Also, as Alan
already pointed out, the quad headlights was a popular custom mod of the day.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

redsails

Found some additional information here (you will need to scroll down quite a bit):

http://www.cadillacdatabase.org/Dbas_txt/Drm56.htm

Brian C.

Blade

This car was just recently mentioned under 'Classic car values in the 70s'.

Big Apple Caddy

This car sold at an RM Auction in AZ in January 2011 for $66K.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Staples in the ID tag would be pretty convincing evidence the work was done in house.

Better still would be the paper tag attached by the staples- indicating a work order number of some kind.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Barry M Wheeler #2189

From an older point of view. I drove a '56 Cadillac Fleetwood as an everyday driver for several years, so while I think this is interesting, I could find a lot better use for that kind of money.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville