News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Motor Mounts: Westar vs. DEA

Started by mgbeda, February 03, 2014, 05:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgbeda

Hi Again,

Got to get new motor mounts before I put the engine back.  I can find two brands out there for my '76 DeVille: Westar and DEA.  Which one should I choose, or is there a third choice?

Thanks,

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

Scot Minesinger

Don't know but I would call Maximum Torques Specialties or another 472/500 specialty engine operation and ask.  Alternatively USA parts may know.  I replaced the engine mounts on all three of my 1970 Cadillacs, but I do not know the brand.  As a joke I'm trying to sell the used ones on e-bay.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

TJ Hopland

I just put some DEA ones in my 81 Eldo and fairly easily stripped out one of the bolts so it would appear they are made from pretty soft metal and or thin.  This style motor side is a threaded hole in a steel plate that is stuck to the rubber.    I was not using a torque wrench and didn't even look up the torque but it was something like a 1/2 inch bolt and I was just using a 3/8 drive ratchet while standing on my head under the car so its not like I was getting a lot of torque. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Scot Minesinger

I replaced the engine mounts on a 1975 RWD Cadillac that were purchased from USA Parts with no issues, don't remember the manufacturer-sorry.  Found the boxes for one of my 1970 Cadillac engine mounts that also had no issues "Anchor Industries" is brand name.  DEA seems a definite NO.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

JVA

FWIW, I have used motor mounts from DEA, Westar, and Anchor on various cars (everything from a '62 Falcon to a '98 Volvo) and frankly none of them impress. The worst were the DEA mounts I got for my old '84 Trans Am... I needed them and installed them, but immediately went hunting for replacements as they were obviously garbage. I would definitely try and hit up a specialty shop rather than buy this sort of generic stuff... I don't think you'll be happy with them. Unfortunately, you may find specialty shops just mark up and repackage generic stuff anyway, but at least you tried. ;)

TJ Hopland

MTS has good stuff but last time I looked he only had the Eldo style mounts since that is what works best with most swaps which is what many of his customers are doing with the Cadillac engines.   If he has got the RWD ones I would not hesitate to get them from him. 

I have used Anchor mounts and did not have any issues with them but also didn't have any of the cars I put them in long enough to know how well they held up.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

mgbeda

I did look on MTS, but found that they only have the Eldo style mounts, as you say.

I will look for Anchor brand mounts.  Thanks!

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610

mgbeda

Okay, that was easy, once I knew what to look for.  2 Anchor Motor mounts purchased and on their way.  Thank you all very much.

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610