News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Adding FM and MP3 capabilities to a stock radio and keeping the rich Delco sound

Started by Dan LeBlanc, January 09, 2014, 07:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

Here's what I did. A few folks in the 61/62 group were curious so I figured I'd sure here too:

http://youtu.be/zYZXFdqZ9Pg
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Jeff Wilk

Simply awesome Dan. Thanks for all the effort!!!  Im assuming the stock radio must be fully functioning first?

Jeff
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

TJ Hopland

I used to have a CD changer that worked like that.   I had em when I used to get leased cars for work.  In that case it was tuned to FM but same concept.  It worked great.

They key to things like this is that they interrupt the regular antenna signal.   This is why there has to be a little box that plugs into the antenna line.   Other types of transmitters that don't interrupt (just go through the regular antenna with everything else) can be really hit and miss (usually miss) depending on where you live and drive because other radio signals will tend to over power the transmitter you have.  This can be a big problem if you live in a large metro area because there are not usually 'empty' channels.   With AM it could be even worse because of the way AM signals can bounce around. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Dan LeBlanc

That's exactly it TJ.  You can't use a modulator and expect good sound.  I had an FM converter in there first that worked ok, but then again, it was 40 year old technology and I found the stations had the tendency to drift a lot.

I don't listen to the mp3 player much, but I do like my FM radio and for me keeping the factory sound system in the loop was paramount to keeping that 1961 feel.
Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc

Dan LeBlanc