News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Reliability of 1962 Cadillac

Started by jpindusi, January 16, 2014, 11:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpindusi

I have always been fond of the styling of the 1962 Cadillacs.  I once owned a 1960 and a 1970, both were fine cars.  How do the 1962 models stack up in terms of reliability?  Any input appreciated.
J. Indusi, CLC 27887

The Tassie Devil(le)

As the '62 was the last of the series that used the original style of engine that was begun in the end of the '40's, they had all the bugs out of them.

Many of these cars have travelled many thousands of trouble-free miles, and with normal maintenance, there is no reason why they cannot be used as a "daily" driver.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Dan LeBlanc

I've owned a few 61/62 cars. The latest being my 61 Fleetwood with just over 19,000mi. Always have been fantastic cars, very drivable and feel more like a modern car than even a 59/60.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

N Kahn

I drove my smoking 1961 Cadillac beater to my first honeymoon in New Orleans from Florida and back, to Miami, to the Keys, all over the place without any problems at all, the 62 is even better.

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Agreed with the others, 1962 is just about as reliable as it gets for a Cadillac of the era. I'm also very partial to uniqueness of the 61/62 Cadillac design with a slight preference for the 1962 model - I have owned three.

Both years are arguably among the most youthful styled of any standard full size Cadillac model ever produced.   

61/62 models are also significantly more roadworthy & nimble than their predecessors, IMO.

Good luck in your search & welcome to the forum.

Here's a pic of mine:

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Jeff Moffo

GORGEOUS CAR!  Gotta love the 62 Coupe de Ville!
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

Dan LeBlanc

Seeing as how we're posting photos, this is my  Fleetwood.

Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Quote from: jbmoffo on January 17, 2014, 11:05:58 AM
GORGEOUS CAR!  Gotta love the 62 Coupe de Ville!

Thanks!  :)

Dan's '61 Fleetwood is just about perfect original. 
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Coupe Deville

Bruce is right. These cars have no trouble being daily drivers. They probably were all daily drivers at one point. The key is maintenance.
My friend has a 62 Fleetwood with over 110,000 thousand miles and it is still going down the road as a daily driver today.

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

jpindusi

Thanks for all the responses.  I will be on the lookout.
Joe, CLC 27887