News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

1956 steering column brass horn slip sleeve

Started by mike peters, January 19, 2014, 05:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike peters

New guy here.  I've got the steering column apart to see why my horn won't blow and found that the brass slip sleeve that solders to the wire horn with that runs through the steering column is broken.  :(   On a past thread, Walt made one from some 1" copper tubing.  Any ideas who to call for a new brass sleeve?  I may have to try Walt's approach if a new one is not to be found. Thanks in advance for any leads.  mike
1956 Eldorado Seville

mike peters

Correction, sorry.  I said wire horn by mistake.   Should be horn wire that runs through the steering wheel shaft from slip sleeve to the top of the shaft beneath the steering wheel. mike
1956 Eldorado Seville

mike peters

Another addition.  I am referring to the brass sleeve that runs under the steering column neutral safety switch spring loaded plunger that connects to the horn wire going out to the horn relay. Sorry.  Still learning terminology. mike
1956 Eldorado Seville

J. Gomez

Mike,

With our older cars we owner have to reinvent the wheel, in other words we need to fabricate what is needed in order to get them working since we can’t order them at the auto part stores.  :(

The brass collar for the horn contact is one of those; you can follow what Walt suggested since it was already proven as a working solution. You could also get a brass sleeve with same I.D. and grind the O.D. to the correct diameter; maybe McMaster-Carr would have one that could fit.

Just make sure you isolate the new collar from the steering wheel shaft.

Good luck..!   
J. Gomez
CLC #23082