News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Music from mp3 on my 1939 Radio

Started by las39, January 19, 2014, 04:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

las39

Last year I was frustrated not having music while driving. There are no interesting AM stations where I live so; I decided to modify the original working radio for my mp3 player.

Studying the circuit diagram that came with the Authenticity manual, I found the preamplifier tube, 6J5.
I bought mini jack cable, cut it and soldered to pin 5, which is the grid. This was easiest to do over condenser C27. I chose the button next to on/off button and de-soldered and shorted connection to avoid statics from the tuner.

Button #2 now only amplifies music from the mp3 player and can be controlled via the big thumb wheel and works even with the treble/bass switch.

I love the way how sound gradually rises as the tubes warm up. Sound is impressive, round and clear.
I've done this modification to other makes and no impedance problems has ever occurred.

Feel free to email me for more info.
Mo
byerteemail addresses not permitted

1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

C.R. Patton II

Hello Mo

I love your chivalrous LaSalle attitude!

Thank you very much.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

las39

Quote from: C.R. Patton II on January 19, 2014, 08:39:28 PM

Hello Mo

I love your chivalrous LaSalle attitude!

Thank you very much.
Thank you Sir, and likewise ;)
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

hudson29

I'm with you Mo, the currently available radio stations don't inspire much interest in getting the radio going again. When I turn it on, it sometimes will bring in a modern station (if it works at all) but that's not anything I want to hear in a 1939 automobile. I'm looking for Benny Goodman or Jack Benny. Your solution allows my iPhone to provide the proper programming and the car dash to provide the atmospheric sound - just as it should do! Thank for posting about this.

Vintage Paul

1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1926 Hudson Anderson Bodied Coupé
1923 Ford Runabout

revgawright

I've always thought music sounds better on analog equipment rather than digital! Thanks! I just may give this a try.
G. A. Wright
Restitutio ad integrum!!!

TJ Hopland

I did a similar thing on my 78 a few years ago.  Took it apart because the 8 track was not working (not that I had many 8 tracks anyway) and while I was in there verifying that something was broken I got to wondering if I could just tap in a jack.  I found the preamp board for the tape input and hooked up there.  Worked great.  People told me I needed to set it up like a dock where you slid the ipod in the tape slot.  Never got around to that.
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

bcroe

A synchronous rectifier, I love it! 

My advice: don't tie your outside signal source hot lead directly to the radio circuit.  You might throw
off the grid bias circuit, depending on the design.  Instead use a series coupling cap similar to the one
from the previous stage, or somewhat larger might help lows (maybe a 0.1 ufd, 50V). 

I suppose you are not getting any noise or stations at this time?  If they came through, you could
just pull the 6H6 or a 6SK7.  Bruce Roe