News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

need 1938 cad 3 spd transmission seals

Started by dorrsulee, January 19, 2014, 09:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dorrsulee

Car is a 1938 60 special.  Need info where seals might be available and the seal numbers would help.  l. dorf

joeceretti

Best Gasket 8105 is what you need. It includes the pan, the tail shaft and the bell housing gaskets. You can get them from many sources but I got mine from gasketcity.com. I must ask, why did you put a Chev 350 on it and not a 346 flathead?

las39

Yes why and but most important how? I see no adapter plate?
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

dorrsulee

Thanks for the info.  I have a replacement tranny that doesnt slip out of high gear that needs seal replacement.  I didnt use a adapter plate for the chevy eng.  The bell housing is bolted directly to the checy eng. (with slight modification), so when I get the original cad eng overhauled I can easily bolt it back as original.  thanks again guys. leroy dorf 
Quote from: las39 on January 20, 2014, 08:36:37 AM

dorrsulee

Quote from: Joe Ceretti on January 19, 2014, 09:57:38 PM
Best Gasket 8105 is what you need. It includes the pan, the tail shaft and the bell housing gaskets. You can get them from many sources but I got mine from gasketcity.com. I must ask, why did you put a Chev 350 on it and not a 346 flathead? Thanks for the info.  I have a replacement tranny that doesnt slip out of high gear that needs seal replacement.  I didnt use a adapter plate for the chevy eng.  The bell housing is bolted directly to the checy eng. (with slight modification), so when I get the original cad eng overhauled I can easily bolt it back as original.  thanks again guys. leroy dorf

Jay Friedman

The shifter shafts, the countershaft and the reverse idler shaft originally used cork seals.  They are no longer obtainable but you could possibly make them.  An alternative is to use two rings in place of each cork seal; those on the shifter shafts can be replaced without removing the trans from the car.  Email me separately at jaysfriedman@yahoo.com and I'll send you an article describing the o rings in detail.

The seal at the back of the rear housing can be obtained from Olcar Bearing Company in NC and Northwest Transmissions in OH.  Also, it's a good idea to have a front bearing (on the clutch connection shaft) which is shielded on the bell housing side.  It can also be obtained from Olcar Bearing Company.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

dorrsulee

I didnt use a adapter plate for the chevy eng.  The bell housing is bolted directly to the checy eng. (with slight modification), so when I get the original cad eng overhauled I can easily bolt it back as original.   leroy dorf