News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Cadillac in Oz 2018?

Started by Quentin Hall, January 20, 2014, 11:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quentin Hall

53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

The Tassie Devil(le)

If there is another GFC, maybe these will also be sent to New Zealand like the last lot?

Aussies want the Cadillac V8, not a V6.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Gene Beaird

Heh, so do Americans!! 

The power and handling they're getting out of the new 4- and 6-cylinder engines is amazing, but nothing, absolutely NOTHING can replace displacement and the low-end grunt you get from a V-8.

Gene Beaird,
1968 Calais
1979 Seville
Pearland, Texas
CLC Member No. 29873

kav

I really hope they don't . I don't want to see the average Aussie bogan driving a Cadillac
1953 series 62
nicknamed  SERENA

Quentin Hall

Relax.I am sure the target demographic would be the typical Aussie upper middleclass bogan.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Grant Owen

The CTS's that came here to New Zealand 2010 models have dropped in value considerably $NZ 25K , cheaper than a similar spec Commodore. A few years prior we got a few new STS's & SLS's from Singapore the remaining ones on the road are near Junk value.
I can see New Zealand Bogan's driving CTS's in the near future.

Quentin Hall

I have had a couple of Yanks ask me "What the hell is a Bogan?" . In deference to their ignorance I post this video from a few years back. Think of "the bogan" as the great cultural gift Australia has bestowed to the world. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA8gJoT5yl4
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

hudson29

For those of us who have only heard that Holden will cease Australian production at some point, can somebody provide more detail? Will Holdens be built elsewhere or is the brand to be abandoned like Oldsmobile & Pontiac?

A few years ago Cadillac had a racing program here in the USA. As I recall, they did pretty well in sports car racing for a time. If Caddies are going to be sold in Australia, perhaps they might jump into Australian V-8 Supercars? That series is certainly one of my favorites and I never miss viewing the races on the DVR.

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1926 Hudson Anderson Bodied Coupé
1923 Ford Runabout

Shorty64cad

Hi Paul,

The Holden nameplate will continue in Australia after australian production ceases in 2017.  Holden aleady sources many of it's cars from GM's asian and european divisions now and 2017 will just complete the outsourcing, possibly using US sourced cars as well.

I'm so glad you are a fan of our V8 Supercar series.  I love it as well.  If Cadillac came into the series, I'd be in heaven.  If Craig Lowndes drove a Caddy in the series, I think my life would be complete!   :)

Cheers,  Greg.
Greg Short.  Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
Member No. 26803
1969 Eldorado

The Tassie Devil(le)

The crowd that run the Aussie V8 Supercar racing would never allow Cadillac in as a competitor, without placing severely power restrictions in the engines.

Our racing is now at the behest of the Commercial Companies, especially Television, and all competing brands, Holden, Ford, Nissan and Mercedes are so hamstrung that if any one seems to have better performance than the rest, they find ways to cut them down.

Boy, whoa betide any driver gets a good lead, out comes the "Safety Car" to "Make for better viewing".

Would be great to have a trio of Cadillac CTS-V's, but it ain't gunna happen.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Shorty64cad

So cynical, Bruce!  All V8 Supercars run the same chassis, transaxle, brakes, tyres, etc, etc, etc, so they in no way truly represent the manufacturers badges that are displayed on them.  However, having them so similarly engineered makes for some truly close racing and I would LOVE to see a Caddy badge out there.
Member No. 26803
1969 Eldorado

The Tassie Devil(le)

But you would have to detune a CTS-V engine that much that it would sound like a V6, or at worst, a 4.

PS.   Oh I forgot, NASCAR is the same.   Boring.   Bring back racing of the 60's, where there was no outside interference. ;)

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Shorty64cad

Mate, the only thing Holden, Ford, Nissan or Merc in a V8 Supercar engine is the bare block.  No detuning required when you're building an engine from a bare block with non-standard parts!

I'm with you on the 60's (and 70's) as well.  Love the old videos of Bathurst from that era.
Member No. 26803
1969 Eldorado

kav

Quote from: Quentin Hall on January 22, 2014, 06:16:33 PM
I have had a couple of Yanks ask me "What the hell is a Bogan?" . In deference to their ignorance I post this video from a few years back. Think of "the bogan" as the great cultural gift Australia has bestowed to the world. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA8gJoT5yl4
for those in the US that don't know the term bogan , think , trailer trash , or redneck . Thanks for the link Quentin , that's a cracker , whoops , sorry that means something else too .
1953 series 62
nicknamed  SERENA