News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

57 power antenna

Started by Renato, January 23, 2014, 01:42:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renato

Hello

I'd like to ask you about 57 power antenna. I know it's a nightmare to rebuild it.  Maybe the worst part of the car. Is it possible to change the steel antenna which comes out from the fender? Mine leaned  so I can not repair. I have to change it. On my De Ville I tried to dissemble it (when I restored the power motor section), but can not figure out how.

Maybe it fixed? Thank you
R. Bognar

Renato

I checked on Ebay the universal antennas. Do you know a good useable one? This is the one parts which I won't restore. If I can change the steel antenna I will use the original. No problem if not functional.

So I checked the universal antennas, but the tops (which on the fender) are different. If I have to choose this was must find a nice one or modify it to be invisible as the original was.
R. Bognar

Matt Innocenzi

Renato,

They are not as much of a nightmare as you may think.  The power motor turns a gear that winds a nylon rope that is threaded within the steel mast.  If your mast is broken or bent, the nylon rope will not pull it down. 

I do not think a universal one will work for you as the escutcheon that goes on the top of the fender will not work.  Your best bet may be looking for a used one from a '57 Cadillac.  A '58 will probably work too.

Matt
Matt I
CLC #21633
1958 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1962 Cadillac Fleetwood

Renato

Was a nightmare for me :)

I rebuild everything in the power antenna. I change the plastic bottom to metal gear. But finally does not work. Maybe the metal was too heavy or I do not know.
R. Bognar

cadillactim

Renato

I rebuild a lot of Cadillac power antennas.  The 57 can be a nightmare at times, I agree.   Sometimes the bushing goes bad in the housing and binds the motor.

If you want you can send me your antenna, and I will check it out for you.  Even if the housing is bad, you can switch it over to a newer motor assembly.  Antenna would still mount on the fender the same, and be flush.

Any questions you can call me at 864-352-3306 (South Carolina).

Tim
Tim Groves

Renato

Hi Tim,

Yes I rebuilt the bushes too, but was not a success story :) So now the problem is the antenna was out and sy almost brake it. Can i replace it or what can I do? See my pixcture. I made a red circle on it. It's not straight :)

You are very lovely, but I live in Hungary. I know was much more easier if sy restore parts in the USA, but the shipping costs are terrible. Heavy things. Mostly Cadillac has heavy things :)

Renato
R. Bognar

Renato

pix
R. Bognar

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Renato,

Looking at the picture, I think that the aerial would have been the least of your troubles. ;)

Bruce. >:D

PS.   Sorry, couldn't resist.   I do hope that this car is a parts car?
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Renato

No. It's not so bad. And almost everything original. I made worse car so... I found the original owner who bought 67 (see his letter in restoration blog). He told me the frame has problem. I checked the floor and it's in good shape. Was a Dakota car.

But my question is the antenna now :)
R. Bognar