News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

heater ducting: interior

Started by Doug Bailey, January 24, 2014, 06:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Bailey

Hey, guys, I think I've asked this question before, but don't recall seeing an answer. I have a mostly original '58 Series 62.

On the passenger's side footwell, near the kick panel is a flexible 3" x 4" rubber duct. It connects to the side panel and leads the heat to the passages in the door. I'm trying to restore the rubber, and think I have a way of doing that. But how does the heat get into that ducting? I think I'm missing a cardboard box that hangs up under the dash to collect the air from the butterfly vent and that routes it into the door.

Do any of you have this box? Know where to find one? Have a plan for making one? Is there one on the driver's side too?

I have struck out on eBay, and the Shop Manual doesn't have a note or picture that I could find. I think I can fabricate one if I can find a photo or a model to measure...

Thanks,
Doug

57flw

Hi Doug,
Will this photo assist you with your search?
Ken
Ken Francis
Hervey Bay
Queensland, Australia
1957 Series 60 Special Fleetwood

Jay Friedman

Doug,

I don't know anything about '58s, but AllCads.com reproduces the duct behind the dash for 1949 Cadillacs that supplies the passages in the door.

Jay
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

cadparts58

I believe you are missing the hard cardboard ducting that mounts under the center of the dash. It has two metal brackets that are screwed into the dash. It is about 28 inches long. The driver side(left) has a round opening with a metal end that connects to the round flex hose that comes from the heater box. The passenger side(right) has the rectangular opening for the flexible rubber boot that connects to the hard cardboard heat box in the kick panel shown in the picture. I should have a couple of the pieces you need. I have sold a couple of these at Hershey and on Ebay. My user name on Ebay is cadparts58. If you need to see pictures email me at fpuma49@verizon.net and I can get some pictures to you. Frank
Frank Puma #10721

Jeff Wilk

Doug, here are two i have left over from a parts car for the drivers side and pass side. These mount behind the side kick panels and direct the heat into each door. The first two pictures are the pass side. I have the drivers too.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville

J. Douglas Bailey

Bingo! You guys are terrific... Okay, here's the situation now: I received photos from several guys of the cardboard boxes that mount BEHIND the kick panel. Turns out mine are in great shape -- never been out of the car. (Have a photo of the top where it exits the kick panel.) So, Jeff, Jay and Ken, your offers were helpful, but not what I needed.  What I need is apparently what cadparts58 (Frank) mentioned: a cardboard duct that mounts under the center of the dash -- to route air to both sides. I got up under there and took some photos today. I'll share those if anyone needs them. I found the round ducting that mates up with this missing box on the driver's side, and of course we've talked about the rectangular opening on the passenger side. Frank, I will go look on eBay again, but I would love to see the pictures you offered. I will order that part if you have one for me. THANKS! Doug
Director, Peach State region
1958 extended deck sedan touring badge; 1st Touring '07
1966 Eldorado Senior Touring badge; 2nd Primary '19
1996 Fleetwood Brougham, 2nd Primary '12
2013 XTS

Doug Bailey

One of our own Peach State CLC members, Bill Marsh, had one of the ducts I was looking for. And typical for our group, Bill has offered this to me gratis. Good man! (This appears to be the same piece as the one offered by Frank, who posted earlier.)

I've attached a couple of photos to show you what the part looks like. This first is the entire 28" piece that mounts below the dash, routing air to the driver's side (round end) and to the passenger's side. It's cardboard, stapled along one side with metal  flanges on either end. The two holes torn into the side (first photo) are where the brackets used to be for hanging it under the dash.

The second photo shows the other side of the piece, which I guess is the down side. The third shot shows the rectangular end, which ties to the passenger side box behind the kick panel. The fourth shot is a look at my kick panel, showing the black box behind the kick panel. That black opening up top is where the rectangular duct in the first photo connects, via the rubber accordion "hose" I am trying to restore. I imagine a round rubber "hose" connects on the driver's side.

Thanks for your help, guys!  Doug Bailey, Peach State CLC, Roswell GA