News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Things hidden in dark places

Started by Tomoldcars, January 26, 2014, 09:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomoldcars

My son builds movie sets. At times he has to go to remote or unused studios. He called me Friday from a large building in Glendale where he found an interesting collection which apparently has been dormant for some time. One of which, is a very original 1957/58 Eldorado brougham. Also included is a 55 Packard Clipper, very like ours but more presentable, a 60’s/70’s Pontiac GTO convertible and several more that are covered. I will try to go there as soon as possible and get some pictures. He called today, Sunday, saying that he found out the owner was asking $40K and would probably consider $30K. Even though I cringe when the comma is one point left, 30K seems a bargain. Any ideas what to look for? Around 1962, one of my father’s friends was considering one, but rejected it for a 61 Lincoln because the doors were binding from a slightly sagging frame. I have had long discussions with a 72 Mercedes 300 4.2 about its air bags, can I also enjoy it with this one? Gas, brakes and tires are a given. The dual coupling Hydro doesn’t like sitting but does respond to magic cures in a can. I’ve owned a lot of Cads, condemned for rings, which just needed the oil pump vacuum booster disconnected. I’ve also replaced control arms, A frames to us fogies, because the cross member cracks at the inside bushings. Anything I’m missing before I visit it next week?
Might be interesting,      Tom

INTMD8

I assume since you're posting here that the car you are considering is the Brougham.

Of course condition is everything but if it's a solid complete car you may get a nice deal if you can pick it up for 30k.

Many parts are specific to that car which equals hard to find and expensive. Many were converted to coil springs due to issues with the air suspension. (though the original system can be sorted with enough effort and money). 

Get some pictures and try to find out as much history on the car as possible. Get a picture of the data plate, under the hood on the drivers side near the firewall.

And if you change your mind about buying it feel free to forward me the info  >:D

Chris Conklin

Let me know if you want company, I'm in Burbank.  ;D
Chris Conklin

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

Always interesting when long slumbering cars come to light.

Looking forward to seeing pics.

Good luck!
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Tomoldcars

I found the reclusive cars today. They are part of an estate and are owned by the four kids. There are several that I would be interested in; the 58 Brougham, 55 Packard, and 64 T Bird convert. They are all tagged 1994. The Eldo. Is very straight and there is no visible rust. It is a tri-power which makes it a 58. Driver’ seat is white leather biscuit but cracked on the driver’s side. The driver’s window is broken. It is sitting on flat air bags, but they don’t look cracked. I was told that all the cars were started sometime last year. I opened and closed the left doors, there was no binding. The right side was not accessible. I would expect to find dead brakes and a leaky Hydro from 20 years of sitting. Considering the year, model and condition, $30K does not seem excessive. I don’t have any information about the other cars. I’m open to all opinions and comments.      Tom

INTMD8

From what I can see, I think 30k is about right. 

If you bought it what do you plan to do with it?

Wonderful cars but keep in mind that restoring one is extremely expensive.

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: INTMD8 on February 01, 2014, 02:42:05 AM

Wonderful cars but keep in mind that restoring one is extremely expensive.
Especially the way your are doing yours!
I have the same comments: for what I can see, the car is in a good shape. The front seat will not cost a fortune to restore if door panels and rear seats are in a good shape. The dash suffers from the same problem as all cars for '57 & 58 but it can be restored by Just Dashes.
The front bumper is good looking, but pictures are usually lying.
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

David King (kz78hy)

Boy Tom, that car is hard to identify.

I looks to be light green, which is paint code 132.  There are no '58's light green w/all white interior, 858.

When I zoom in on the heater/defogger levers, they appear to be '58.  A lot of '57's seem to have been converted to the tri power, so that was why I was trying to confirm '58.

There were none in '57 either by the way.

Give me a call and I will coach you through waking it up and some air ride tips to see how good or bad it is.  That looks to be a great car to fool around with.

David

two 4 eight 77 zero six 93 one
David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

russ austin

Hope you buy the lot of cars. Flip what you don't want, keep the 58.
R.Austin