News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 (6267) Heater Core And Valve

Started by Coupe Deville, January 27, 2014, 01:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. I'm not suprises this happened. About a month ago we tried used the heat in our convertible. Well not using the heater in 10 years, today the passenger side floor carpet was soaking wet. Looked up at the vents in the heater box and it was wet and saw puddles of coolant. So we're going to replace at some point. My question is when the heater contols are off, does the water valve fully close or do I need to bypass it? Also when I do the job does the heater core come out from the box in the engine bay or the box under the dash? Do I need to replace rebuild the valve? Where can I get a core? They don't seem to be as easy to get as my 72' was. Any input or advice from someone who has done this would be greatly appriciated.
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

Jeff Wilk

Try classicradiator.com in Farmingdale NY. They can rebuild your core and valve. Great work at reasonable prices too. The core comes out from under the dash. Without taking it apart there is no way to know for sure which is leaking. Best bet is to bypass it under the hood.
"Impossible Only Describes The Degree Of Difficulty" 

Southern New Jersey

1959 Cadillac Fleetwood Sixty Special
1975 Eldorado Convertible (#12 made)
1933 Phaeton Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"
1933 Master Sedan Chevrolet - "Baby Cadillac"

SOLD
1976 Cadillac Mirage (factory authorized Pick-Up)
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sixty-Special
1958 Cadillac Sedan
1958 Cadillac Coupe Deville