News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

start of 1966 eldorado restoration

Started by Medicman2011, January 28, 2014, 06:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medicman2011

Hello all,
I just inherited a 1966 Eldorado convertible and have a lot of questions. First would be the best place for parts. I have done some business with Cadillac King but I have had to return five of the last six parts I have gotten from them because they were junk. Next question is How do I access the convertible top motor. The top is so slow its painful. I don't know if the pump has gone bad of its just low on fluid. Im just getting started on the restoration so I haven't figured out all the tricks yet. Anybody out there help me dive into this thing.
R mcilroy

C.R. Patton II

Hello

Welcome to the CLC Forum.

Please complete the following steps BEFORE you spend any money or write checks.
(1) Join our national organization and region near your residence.
(2) Acquire an Class 21 Authenticity Manual
(3) Establish a friendship with the era CLC Technician/President, Lars Kneller
(4) Become a member of the Vertical Lamp Chapter, Jeff Shively
(5) Develop an assessment of the current status of your car and what you want it to be

Always remember to ask any and all questions BEFORE you act. We exist to assist.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Richardonly

Hello Medicman,

Here is a list that someone sent me a year or so ago.............http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=113cab2f748d50faa9513a52e24bc728&topic=5742.0

I haven't bought from many of these companies as mine needed little in the way of restoration.

You did not mention what parts you were looking for, nor which state you are in.

Hopefully this will get you started.

On the roof, it may be low fluid (check this 1st), it could be clogged lines or maybe a worn pump.  It does work, and that is GREAT!  Maybe the proper lube where the roof frame bends (joints for lack of a better word).

Good luck, Richard
1948 Cadillac Fleetwood 60S
1995 Lincoln Towncar, Signature Series
1995 Jaguar XJ6
2001 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
1986 Yamaha 700 Maxim X motorcycle

Brad Hemingson CLC #18437

I own 2 1966 Eldorado's one a parts car and the other in restoration. The best source of info on 1966 on this forum is Ralph Messina. He has done Eldorado's and a Fleetwood. Buy a 1966 shop manual and a "Body by Fisher" manual on e-bay. I like the books but some people buy the CD's and print the pages they need. Then join the club and buy an authenticity manual.

Mechanical parts are still pretty easy to get. Body parts are harder as there is no one making reproduction sheet metal other than floor pans and they are not great the ones I've seen. 1966 was a big production year for Cadillac and if you have the space I recommend buying a clean rust free Coupe deVille and using it for parts if you needs fenders etc.

The list of vendors above is a good one. Good luck. My car is triple black with low back buckets and a console. Put up some more pictures of yours.

Chris Conklin

First, I second the advice to seek out Ralph Messina. He knows every nut and bolt for this car.

From the photo it appears you have a decent starting point for the car. Are you intending to get it back to it's original appearance? If so, a couple obvious items...

Too bad they removed the lettering and installed the wrong body molding in the wrong place. But it's pretty common to see the lettering disappear in a repaint. To replace it you'll need to remove the front quarters and find the holes. If the lettering is gone from the trunk it's easy to get to the original holes. You're also minus the badges and wreaths that denote it as a Fleetwood on the tail quarters. And you need the correct hubcaps. I posted a picture to show you all the side trim.

Not sure what type of parts you've been seeking. OPGI is pretty good for some emblems and badges. USA Parts Supply for some mechanicals and the Fantastic Cadillac Rubber Floor Mats! Rubber the Right Way or Steel Rubber for weatherstripping and moldings. RTRW sells Steel products. There are a couple guys here in the club and on the forum that sell parts for '60s era cars, Cadillac Tim is one I've dealt with, and Willington Cad (Jeff Willington I think?). Really, I never had much difficulty finding mechanical items for the car, I did an upper end rebuild on mine. But trim and body stuff will be hard.

One thing about the slow top; it is a 1966 car. The top doesn't operate as quickly as a newer vehicle. If I recall, according to the manual, the top may take as long as 35 seconds to fully operate.

The top motor is easy to get to, just remove the rear seat. The seat comes out fairly easily (shop guide is essential and very available on eBay). But it's usually not just a simple "topping off of the fluid". You need to be sure all the air is out of the lines. There's a purge bottle for this that is inexpensive and is good to own (photo attached). There are rebuild kits for the pump motors. I never had much luck with rebuilding, it's just some gaskets and o-rings. Best to just replace the pump. You should be able to replace all the top hydraulic components for $800 or so (meaning all the items behind the seat; pump, rams, lines, etc.). I used a place called Convertible Service just because they're near me (ordered everything from them on-line though).

Lastly, CONGRATULATIONS on your inheritance! You have a really great car there.
Chris Conklin

Brad Hemingson CLC #18437

Chris made some really good points. If you post the info from your data plate on the firewall under the hood we can help decode it and tell you how the car left the factory as far as trim.

Chris was right about the side trim and your hubcaps being wrong. Your side trim looks like the stuff sold to protect against dings. You do have the correct walnut trim in the interior and the rocker trim is Eldorado only.