News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Missing generator oiling cap

Started by David Greenburg, January 31, 2014, 03:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Greenburg

The cap for the front oil point on my generator is missing. Is this repairable/replaceable or do I need to replace the gen front end piece?
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

quadfins

There was a source on eBay through which I bought two replacements. They appear to be quite workable, but I have not yet figured out how to remove the old capless cup. It does look like it is serviceable.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

joeceretti

Not sure about other models or even if this is correct for mine, but I do have the correct model generator for my car. It's a 38 and the oil cup will pull straight out with a little careful twisting and pulling. I found out by accident while cleaning.

David Greenburg

I hadn't really thought about it, but it makes sense that the whole assembly is removable. I'll have to look for those replacements. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

David Greenburg

Just took a look on eBay, and there do seem to be a couple of sources once I figure out the correct size.  Might throw some new brushes in while I'm at it since they're cheap, available from the same vendor and I have no idea what the status of my gen is other than that items to work ok.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

R Schroeder

Check with NAPA , or even a big ACE hardware store.
Roy

TJ Hopland

Gits was a pretty big name in oil cap sort of things and are still apparently in business.

http://www.gitsmfg.com/catalog/oil-hole-covers/

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

Just had some time to poke around their site.  At least they are not trying to hide where they make their stuff.    Wonder if 'product innovation center' was the former manufacturing facility?

Headquarters

1739 Commerce Rd
    Creston, Iowa

Product Innovation Center

4601 121st Street
    Urbandale, Iowa

Gits Mfg China

No. 6 East Nanjing Road,
    Taicang Jiangsu, China
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

harvey b

I would look for another old generator,and see if it has the same one,usually old generators are pretty cheap at the swap meets,especially if the owner does not know what it fits or works.Or try a electrical repair shop,they should have some kicking around. Harvey
Harvey Bowness

Glen

I don’t know if it will do you any good but the Delco-Remy part number for the oiler is 125609. 
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Paul Phillips

I have bought these before from McMaster Carr. There are various sizes/configurations available. These are press fit in place (tap in with a small hammer).

Another thing to check if the cap is missing is if the bearing has been upgraded to a sealed type. In that case, the oiling cap becomes a cosmetic feature only.  If you still have an oil type bearing, also be sure the wick material is in place.

Good luck!
Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

David Greenburg

Thanks, everyone for all this info.  The Delco part number is useful; the part is available on e-bay, although it looks like Gits has an equivalent that according to their website is carried by my local Fastenall store, so I'll probably try that first.   
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville

Ken Perry

While you are in there,I would put in new brush springs if you can find them. I have had several springs break over the years! Kind of a over looked part! Ken Perry
Cadillac Ken

David Greenburg

David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville