News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

59 westclox cog question

Started by MY 59, January 31, 2014, 07:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MY 59

I have just degreased, cleaned and lubricated my westclox dash clock and she is a-ticking away happily.
I did however find why the setting dial jambs either way around 12:00
the intermediate or 'idler' cog in the picture is missing a damn tooth and jambs when turned.
does anyone know if this can be replaced, or shall I look for a quartz replacement movement (any help sourcing the movement would be appreciated)

Please let me know your thoughts,,
thanks
David Bone :)

1959 Cadillac Sedan Deville
1967 (aussie) ZA ford Fairlane

joeceretti

An experienced clockmaker should be able to make you a new one if you can't find a replacement.

MY 59

that is a good idea, I contacted the guru here in Western Australia for vintage speedometers and clocks, he said it would be cheaper to buy another clock than to make to cog :(

any dead westclox out there willing to donate their spare parts??!!

cant seem to find a quartz kit, only people offering conversions, if I am wrong please let me know,

thanks all,

joeceretti

Easy for me to say, because it's not my money I am spending, but I have to wonder if it would be worth the expense just to keep this hard to find part of a special car authentic.

MY 59

the guy didnt seem particularly interested in helping to be honest.
I will keep trying, and will post in the wanted to buy section for a dead clock, there must be a fair few out there

J. Gomez

David,

Have you looked into the possibility of repairing the tooth by welding/soldering the missing piece with a metal alloy? The gear is brass and probably a low heat alloy maybe able to salvage the unit.

Although the gear would need to be removed from the clock to perform the surgery.   ;)

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082