News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Selling Information to other members on this Forum

Started by johnregrus, February 01, 2014, 10:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnregrus

Occasionally I will private message someone on this forum instead of posting when I think the answer would be not of interest to any other members.

Last week I searched all the old postings to see who had replied most to inquiries about decoding district codes. I have just received a "cars built" sheet for my 1958 Cadillac from Allied-Vaugh and the outlet code was OWA. I think I know where this car was shipped to as I have known this Cadillac for over 50 years but I just wanted to reconfirm.

Anyways I private messaged that member and got a reply that started with "who are you. I charge for this information with the fee going to the CLC building fund. I'll find out how much the CLC wants and get back to you." He never has yet."

I thought this forum was about sharing information. I see nowhere on the CLC website where this information is for sale. I've already purchased a CLC membership as well as the authenticity manual, decals etc. so I think I'm a good member.

How about the next time someone PMs me to ask where I got my car painted I reply; I'll tell you for $20 bucks.

Let me know if I'm reading this right or over reacting. Thanks
1958 Series 62
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

austingta

Alan Harris CLC#1513

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

What a shame.
We're all in this together trying to keep these old gals going.  We need to stick together.  Information should be free and if anyone buys something from someone it should be reasonably priced and not kill the buyer on shipping. 
I don't have much to offer but for what it's worth, my 2 cents worth is free.

Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

76eldo

John,

I'm with you on this.  If I had a dollar for every post I have answered in order to assist a member I'd be in the Bahamas right now.

No one "Owns" that info, so if they are not willing to share, just put the question out there on the board.  There is more than one source for everything.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

Jon S

John -

Total nonsense!  I'm with you on this one also!

Jon
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

Steve Passmore

Don't be put off by that John, there probably are aspects of the CLSC that are charged for towards building donations or whatever, after all, Allied-Vaugh charged you and that certainty didn't go into club coffers. I give out any meager information I might have gladly but that doesn't speak for everybody.  A question on this forum is the way to go. I'm sure someone will help you.
From the look of OWA I would instinctively think of Oshawa, but I'm probably wrong.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Barry M Wheeler #2189

When I came up with the idea of shipping my wood blueprints for the 1938-1941 60S in exchange for a donation, it was my thought that the recipient would get actual physical value for their contribution. But holding onto info that would take you seconds to pass on is somewhat misguided I would think.
We need the money, it is true. but I hope not quite that badly.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Bill Hedge CLC 14424

John:

Would you please forward to me a copy of the email that you received so that I can, in turn, forward it to the appropriate club officer/and or committee so that that the club can investigate this matter further.  I will send you an email so that you will have my email address. 

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Bill Hedge, CLC #14424
Message Board Administrator
Cadillac & La Salle Club

russ austin

If it was easy, anyone could do it.  Look at the Cadillac parts people. They get their parts from somewhere, yet they repackage it, and sell it to you at a mark up. Their hard work and time, is worth the money they ask, if you pay for it.

Sometimes all it takes is a little persistence to find the info or part. If someone has built up a niche on a specific item, then their time is worth  their asking price, if your willing to pay.

Case in point would be the 63/64 Cadillac shocks. They are made new, but are packaged under a different vehicle.  Auto zone sells shocks packaged for the 63/64, but they don't fit well. It took a little looking, but I did find the correct fit.

Buying a car, and hanging out in a chat room doesn't make the person. What that person does, makes the difference. 
R.Austin

russ austin

R.Austin

R Schroeder

John,
Just keep asking until someone answers. Well, at least most of the time anyway.
I have had people tell me they knew the answer to my question , but would not answer it, and posted that right in my posting.
Some people are just jerks.
Roy

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Give Alan Haas a call and see if he can help. He now lives just over the MI state line in OH. (EST)
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Barry M Wheeler #2189

Nothing of your dues is "given" to the CLCMRC unless it is approved by the Board of Directors. The only way we can get individual donations through the CLC is at your renewal time, there is a line for anything you wish to contribute. As a matter of fact, I got a thank you letter today from Paul Ayres acknowledging my small contribution.

Please ignore anyone wanting money in exchange for information for whatever purpose. 
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

gary griffin

I am in agreement with complaints about using the forums to sell information or anything else other than the "For Sale and Want to buy" sections.

I also look at the forum regularly  for various reasons including information and parts availability.

I also try to make contributions to the Forum whenever I have a chance to.

Having said that, it is an open forum and there is no real way to stop people from trolling the forum  looking for suckers. I would not buy from anybody who is not a club member because without a real name and address how would I know he is legitimate  and responsible? 
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

Kevin M. Parkinson

Pay for information between club members? What? No way. I give stuff away if it is to help out a Cadillac or a Cadillac owner.
1925 V-63B Custom Suburban
1941 Series 6719
1956 Fleetwood 75 Imperial Sedan
1967 Sedan deVille
1968 Sedan deVille
1972 Fleetwood 75 Sedan
1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Hearse Senior #779
1980 Fleetwood Limousine
1996 Sedan deVille
2006 DTS 1SD
2018 CT6 3.0TT Platinum
2018 Escalade ESV

cadillacmike68

You should put his userid & name here (no other info though) so we can all stay away.

I may not know much  ;)  , but I'll never try to charge anyone here to share what little I do know. 

I have no idea what OWA is other than Outlook Web Access.  :P :P
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Glen

Information or, knowledge, is an unusual commodity in that you can give every bit of it away and still have it all. 

In fact I find that in the process of giving it away I increase or at least reinforce my knowledge.   
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.