News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

39 Lasalle serial/vin #

Started by 39lasalle, February 02, 2014, 08:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

39lasalle

I recently came into possession of a Series 5019 Lasalle on a bill of sale. I don't know too much about them but I am trying to find the serial #.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve Passmore

Serial number is the engine number and its located behind number 7 cylinder on the bell housing, sometimes hard to see.  A similar number is found on the chassis rail just behind the steering box on top the frame usually with the first digits different.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

39lasalle

Thanks

So far I only see a three digit number upside down behind cyl. No. 7. It looks like 128 and they are about 3/4 inches tall.

I can't find anything on the frame rail, yet.

C.R. Patton II

Hello K. Smith

Glad to read of your acquisition.

If you stand adjacent to the left front tire with the hood up, look door at the chassis with a flashlight for illumination, the vehicle identification is stamped. If unclear use a wire brush to clear the residue then apply white chalk to enhance the numerals. The 1939 LaSalle range is 2290001-2313002.

On the firewall you will see a body plate. If you provide the information I will decode it for you.

I hope you retain the LaSalle, join our national/region near your residence.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

joeceretti

The serial number on both the frame and the engine can be very difficult to read but they are there. Keep scraping, brushing or whatever method you choose and you will find them.

It is common and correct to have the vehicle registered under the number stamped on the engine. However in some areas the car will be registered by the number on the frame. Incorrect, yes, but it's the way it is some of the time.

39lasalle

Body tag

Style 39-5019
Body 8793
Trim 31
Paint 53

39lasalle

C.R. Patton II

Hello

1939 LaSalle 5019. 5 passenger 4-door Touring Sedan with 15,683 produced
Body 8,793. (Estimated date of manufacture Jan-Feb 1939)
Trim 31 is Tan
Paint 53 is Cavern Green which is unique

I am a fan not an expert. Allied Vaughn can provide actual data.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

39lasalle

So what is the best way to get a title for this as I more or less inherited the car with no paperwork?

Tom Boehm

Hello K. Smith, I have a 1940 Lasalle and I did not get a title with it either. I live in Indiana. I asked how to get a title at the local office of the Indiana Department of Motor Vehicles. They told me I had to get a judge in the county I live in to issue a court order to the DMV to issue a title. I did it and it was not that big of a deal. So, ask at the department of motor vehicles in the state you live in how to get a title. Enjoy your Lasalle and post a picture!

Jim Stamper

A bill of sale and an eyes on Vin #verification by a New Hampshire police officer and the little form he fills out is what it takes here.

Jim Stamper CLC#13470

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: 39lasalle on February 02, 2014, 12:45:05 PM
Thanks guys

Found it, 2302610

Is that the FRAME #? Make sure it is & you title the car by that frame #. The motor had the same # when new, but motors can be changed. Using a incorrect motor # can cause LOTS of problems as some on the board can attest to.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

39lasalle

Yes that is the number on the frame.  I took a Rolodex pad and my grinder to the frame and ground down to bare metal

39lasalle

Quote from: C.R. Patton II on February 02, 2014, 12:56:46 PM

Hello

1939 LaSalle 5019. 5 passenger 4-door Touring Sedan with 15,683 produced
Body 8,793. (Estimated date of manufacture Jan-Feb 1939)
Trim 31 is Tan
Paint 53 is Cavern Green which is unique

I am a fan not an expert. Allied Vaughn can provide actual data.

Car is black and does not look repainted and the Interior is blue and doubt that has been changed either,

thanks though   will investigate further

Alan Harris CLC#1513

No interiors on 1939 closed cars were originally blue. The only choices were gray or tan. Cavern Green was a very dark green and would have looked good with tan.