News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Eldorado 55 authenticity

Started by Eldo55, February 02, 2014, 06:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eldo55

Good afternoon my friend, I'm in the process to purchase a 1955 Eldorado's, and would like to verify the authenticity of the car.
here is the Vin number : 556243697 same on the block and on the frame.

Also I try to read the tag that was painted:
the style looks like to be  55-6267 SX
body FY 1228
Trim 98
Paint 90
top 2  ACC    E-H-Y

Do you guys know how to read that?

thanks a lot

Mike Baillargeon #15848

1955 Cadillac Eldorado

Paint = Alpine White

Trim = Red & White Leather interior

Top = Black

Sounds like a pretty one!

Throw us a picture.

Mike Baillargeon   #15848
Mike
Baillargeon

C.R. Patton II

Hello Patrick

Welcome to the CLC Forum!

Glad to read you are contemplating the purchase of Cadillac. Here are some numbers for you to ponder.

1955 Cadillac 6267SX ELC.  3,950 manufactured
2014 CLC International Membership Directory lists only 50

Condition Value Scale
(1) 155k
(2) 107k
(3)  68k
(4) 49k
(5) 30k
(6) 12k

If you would like to verify the VIN contact Allied Vaughn 734-462-5543 ext 163

Please be inquisitive BEFORE you purchase.
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Eldo55

thank you guys, I will call mike latter today! I'm in Europe for a week.

I will try to download picture later also, need to learn how to do it.

Also I did see when I was looking at the car that, when opening the hood completely, it was interfering with the top of the fender on each side. the previous owner did told me that it was common on Eldorado's 55?????

Thanks again for your quick answers!!!

walt chomosh #23510

Patrick,
  The hood is going past it's stop and probably contacting the front fender. Generally,hood hinges need rebuilt and the stop(just fairly light metal)bent back to it's proper position.(it is not part of the hinge) Forcing the hood open further then one should will bend the stop,causing the hood to go past it and contact the front fenders. Yes,this is a fairly common problem with 55 models....walt...tulsa,ok

Eldo55

Here a some pics

As you might see the car was repaint some time ago....

Have a good day!

C.R. Patton II

Hello Patrick

The car looks nice.

Here's a question for the 55 experts. It looks like it is all there and I have not examined the top or the electrical system.  I have not driven or crawled under the chassis but it IS red. What condition number would you place on this car? Number 3?
All good men own a Cadillac but great gentlemen drive a LaSalle. That is the consequence of success.

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Patrick:

I restored and own a '55 Eldorado.  I've had her since 1981.  I've also judged Class 15
at over 20 GN's.

Having said that, I feel it would be unfair to you and the car to give you a number
in the 1-6 scale for condition unless I've actually seen the car.  There are a multitude of
details on all 50's Eldorado's that need to be checked.

You can't tell many of these things from a photograph.  That being said, it does appear
to be a nice car that will need some attention if you want to upgrade to "show" condition.

Feel free to call me once you're back in the States if you want to discuss any questions.
I'm in the Membership Directory.

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Eldo55

Good Afternoon guys

I just received the build shit from GM center for my Eldo 55 not sure I can understand the whole of it, here is a copy

My Vin number is 556243697, she is the last one of the page.

I guess that "E" in style means that she is a real Eldorado's?

But what mean the rest like Body number or engine unit number? and "EZ Eye Glass" ?

Thanks for your knowledge!!!

Have a good evening!

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

Patrick:

Yes, the "E" designation in the "style" column means it's an Eldorado.

The body number is the sequence in which the bodies were assembled.  In other words,
your Eldorado body was number 1,571 of the 3.950 built.  Eldorado bodies were not built
on the regular assembly line, since the rear of the car required some hand fitting and lead
work to graft the rear quarters on.  It was done in a special area at the Clark Street plant.

EZ eye glass means you had a tinted windshield, which I saw in the pictures. 

Your car was finished and ready to ship on February 4th, 1955.  The outlet code "SL"
indicates the dealer / city that it was shipped to.  I'm not 100% certain but I believe this
code indicates Saint Louis, MO.

Hope this helps!

Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Brad Hemingson CLC #18437

Nice car and great original colours. Good luck on your purchase.