News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Leather Steering Wheel cover for 1939 Wheel?

Started by hudson29, January 27, 2014, 09:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hudson29

My old steering wheel is cracked all over. It looks awful and the segments can painfully pinch the hand when cranking it hard during parking maneuvers. I know they can be rebuilt but this is expensive & time consuming and I'm looking for a way to make a nice improvement now.

I'm thinking of buying one of the DIY leather steering wheel wraps. Can anyone recommend one that fits the large but thin steering wheels that Cadillac used in 1939? I'll bet some owners fitted them back in those days before air conditioning. Sweaty hands on a slick plastic steering wheel would have been just as much a problem when the cars were new as they are today.

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1926 Hudson Anderson Bodied Coupé
1923 Ford Runabout

35-709

Try these folks ---
http://www.wheelskins.com/

Wheelskins Inc.
2821 10th Street
Berkeley, CA 94710
For further information, call (800) 755-2128
or email us at info@wheelskins.com

They show their products for more modern cars but can and will custom make most any size you want, just measure and tell them what it is --- many colors too.
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

35-709

Should also say that you will still need to fill the cracks and openings in the steering wheel and smooth the filler before using the leather cover.  Otherwise the leather cover will pull down into the cracks and wide openings and it will still look ugly and be uncomfortable.  Use something like body filler, JB Weld, or the like. 

hudson29

Thanks, that does look like a good place to try. I have already wrapped heavy wire in some of the cracks to try to immobilize them. I'm thinking GB Weld might be too liquid to work here but Bondo might be just right. I have both in stock. How easy are these covers to install?

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1923 Ford Runabout

lou-q

To fill the cracks and voids there is an epoxy product called Marine Tex. It is a structural epoxy that  can easily be sanded, shaped drilled and tapped and it is thick enough to be used upside down.
We use it where heat is not a factor.
Good luck,
Lou Quirch
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

joeceretti

I agree, you should be using epoxy. Carefully applied, sanded well and then painted it should look very good. You won't have the original look of the plastic they used which allows some light transference but it should look very good. Bondo or something like that will shrink after time and want to re-crack and come out ruining all your hard work refinishing.

hudson29

That sounds like great stuff. I just had a look and didn't see it at McMaster-Carr. Do you have a good source?

I see that you too have a 1939 6127. What sort of shape is it in? I have never seen another one of them except in pictures.

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1923 Ford Runabout

hudson29

I wasn't thinking of using this to restore the wheel but just to fill the cracks before covering it with the leather cover. There is a place that will recast the wheel with new plastic. I haven't seen the result except in pictures but that sounds like the best way to go. They are spendy, something like $1000.00. Someday when I hit the lotto . . .

Vintage Paul, looking to improve what I have now
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1923 Ford Runabout

35-709

Raymond919

Hello Paul,
I recently came across this product offered by POR 15 which makes rust-stopping chemicals which can then be painted over. They also sell a kit for under $100 to fix your steering wheel. It contains an epoxy to fix the gaps and cracks in steering wheels and also the different grades of sand paper to then smooth it out, high gloss polishing compound, primer with hardener and a detailed instruction book. If I had your problem, I'd definitely look into this. Their toll-free number is 1-800-457-6715. Give them a call and request a catalog and ask them questions about it.
I have never bought their products but noticed that POR 15 is included in lots of Rustoleum spray paints to stop rust. I'd suggest giving them a call and ask for their catalog - costs nothing!
Ray Schuman

hudson29

Yes, these wheels are certainly restorable on some level by such methods. There might be odd spacings between the raised portions which the fingers grip but they can look pretty good. The problem I worry about would be paint. It would take take a pretty good paint to last very long on a steering wheel.

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1923 Ford Runabout

lou-q

Quote from: hudson29 on January 28, 2014, 08:12:50 PM
That sounds like great stuff. I just had a look and didn't see it at McMaster-Carr. Do you have a good source?

I see that you too have a 1939 6127. What sort of shape is it in? I have never seen another one of them except in pictures.

Vintage Paul

Paul,
Our 6127 is in great shape and we use it often in the Summer. There aren't many around (only 1,023 made). I have not seen another either. Where is yours at? Ours is in Indiana. You can get Marine Tex at any boat store.
It hardens in 3 hours at 70 degrees or much faster with a light bulb for heat.
Lou Quirch
Lou Quirch    CLC#26694
39-6127 coupe
67 DeVille convertible Venetian Blue
67 DeVille convertible Doeskin SOLD
67 Corvette Marina Blue Roadster
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary Black Convert
2020 Shelby GT500 Magnetic Metallic
67 DeVille convertible Donor car for parts
3 F250 Ford P/Us

Warren Rauch #4286

On my 1939, I used a leather wrap for a while, but cord that held it on was a problem. My solution was found at a closeout store they had large truck rubber wheel covers that fit right on. It almost looks like leather. Warren

hudson29

Quote from: lou-q on January 29, 2014, 08:51:15 PM
Quote from: hudson29 on January 28, 2014, 08:12:50 PM

Our 6127 is in great shape and we use it often in the Summer. There aren't many around (only 1,023 made). I have not seen another either. Where is yours at? Ours is in Indiana. You can get Marine Tex at any boat store.
It hardens in 3 hours at 70 degrees or much faster with a light bulb for heat.
Lou Quirch

I'm in SoCal just about 5 miles north of Disneyland. I am planning to make the Southern California Chapter meet at the Lakewood Country Club next Sunday, February 9th. I have never seen another 1939 6127 except in pictures online. Sadly, most of the ones I have seen on eBay have been converted into hot rods. That is really too bad as these were such beautiful and good performing cars stock that it is easy to forget the car is now 75 years old.

It would be fun some day to have a run in a 1939 Buick Century with the same body to compare the differences. The Buick is supposed to be the speed champ but I have to think the Caddie would give it a run for its money. Mine whispers along at 75 mph and will go MUCH faster. The poor shocks keep me from trying to go any faster not the power.

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1923 Ford Runabout