News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Glue for Original Carpet/Mat

Started by Jeff Moffo, February 04, 2014, 07:49:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Moffo

Good Morning,

I am lucky enough to have the original floor mats for my 76 Coupe, and they are in near PERFECT condition.  I am trying to make a small repair.  I believe someone tried to glue a loose piece of the carpet to the rubber backing near teh Cadillac emblem, and it did not last.  I would like to glue it back but want to be sure to use the BEST glue out there as I do not want to ruin this great piece. I have added a picture to help.  Also, would anyone know a product that I could treat the rubber edges with to re-condition and protect them.  Someone suggest ed Meguiars Shine Protectant but I did not know if that would recondition the older rubber.

Thanks!
Jeff M
North Jersey
Best of all, it's a Cadillac....
'76 Coupe DeVille - Claret (Sold)
'73 Series 60 Fleetwood (Sold)
'76 Coupe DeVille-Dunbarton Green

Brad Hemingson CLC #18437

3M spray glue or contact cement. They remain "tacky" and have some flex with good adhesion to fiber.

Jeff Moffo

Thanks.  Any suggestion on how to soften the small piece of carpet that is beginning to curl?  I think someone glued it before and it did not take well!
Jeff M
North Jersey

Jeff Moffo

I was able to scrape off some of the old glue (DIFFICULT).  I think they used gorilla glue of some sort.  I covered the emblem well and was able to glue the pieces together using contact cement.  I sat some weights on it for 4 days and seems to be "like new".  The carpeted mats are now stored inside until warmer weather gets here in NJ!
Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff M
North Jersey