News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

Trunk pull downs

Started by waterzap, February 04, 2014, 02:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

Are the trunk pull downs all the same? Would a 77 Coupe Deville trunk pull down fit a 78 Eldorado?
Leesburg, AL

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

GM used a number of different trunk power pull down mechanisms throughout the years.

The standard line Cadillac models of 1977 had an all-new trunk pull down unit & will not interchange with 1977 or 1978 Eldorado.

It might interchange with all 1976 models except Seville - but I cannot say for certain.   
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

waterzap

My pull down is making a lot of noise. Still works, but screams. Sometimes. Is there a way to NOT have a pull down, but still have a flush closing trunk?
Leesburg, AL

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

I have seen it done where the motor is disconnected and by manually spinning the screw (or whatever is spun by the motor) the latch can be set so as to catch the lid to seal it firmly shut.

It's been a while since I've dealt with one of that style - it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

**Have you tried greasing it? The grease has probably dried up.
A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

waterzap

I did take it aparts as much as I could and lubricated it. Might try it again.
Leesburg, AL

bcroe

Quote from: ericdevI have seen it done where the motor is disconnected and by
manually spinning the screw (or whatever is spun by the motor) the latch can be set
so as to catch the lid to seal it firmly shut.   

That is about what I did on my 79 Eldo.  There is usually an adjustable part on any latch,
but I didn't need to adjust it.  Bruce Roe

R Schroeder

If you don't want to use it, disconnect your battery, open the trunk with key  and disconnect the power to the motor.
Then it will be in the spot you need it. Re-connect your battery.
I should think that if a little oil didn't cure it, your parts a re worn out.
Roy

waterzap

Quote from: Roy Schroeder on February 05, 2014, 08:41:18 AM
If you don't want to use it, disconnect your battery, open the trunk with key  and disconnect the power to the motor.
Then it will be in the spot you need it. Re-connect your battery.
I should think that if a little oil didn't cure it, your parts a re worn out.
Roy

Might just try that. Thank you.
Some of the parts are probably just worn out. Can fix it later. Other more pressing things now on the car.
Leesburg, AL

TJ Hopland

So was the 77 standard line pull down the plastic housing one that they used through the 90's?

The issue with the plastic housing ones other than broken housings seems to be the switch module.  Its a fairly complex thing that is not sealed very well. 

The more massive metal housing ones that were used around 75 had some common issue that I am thinking had to do with grounding if I am remembering correctly.   Seems like to pull down its got to get a ground from the trunk lid?   Its been a while since I messed with one but seems like it turned out to be something simple.   After I figured it out everyone said 'oh ya its always just that.......'. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

R Schroeder

TJ , mine , in my 78 DeVille is all metal. I think the plastic ones were later. Maybe the 80's
Roy

waterzap

Its all metal. It just screams...sometimes.
I just disconnected it and adjusted the screw at the bottom. Works fine, and saves the unit if I want to use it later on.
Leesburg, AL