News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1974 eldo convt. top

Started by Viator Trudeau, February 05, 2014, 11:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

Many '74 eldo convt. top
I have seen in pictures show the top folded down flush with the with the rear of body.
Some top do not go that far down.  hard and soft boots wont go over enough to cover the top.
Can the top be adjusted to go lower?  I do not want to force it down.  I can not seem to find the answer in the body manual.  I need some tips on to adjust it to lower it when down.
Thanks,  V. Trudeau  #8697

TJ Hopland

I don't think there is an adjustment for that, all the adjustments are related to having it up.   I think its about the material and quality of installation.   My 20 year old top seemed to drop down nicely.  My new one I had put in a few months ago does not even come close to settling all the way down but I only had it down one time since it was installed.  I'm hoping when it gets a little more use it will settle down a bit.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

As TJ says, there is no adjustment.

The best way to get the top to lower is to do it whilst the sun is up, and the top is nicely heated by the Suns' rays.   The same goes for putting the roof up.   Don't do it whilst everything is cold.

I did notice on a Convertible here that when the roof was replaced, the person doing the job didn't replace the side padding, but added another pad to "bolster" the top when it is up.   This is now causing his top to not collapse like mine does.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

76eldo

When you are folding he top are you pulling the fabric out from in between the bows?  That's important. Who installed the last top?  Has it ever folded correctly?
If things are not folding and moving properly you can end up shattering the rear window.
I'd take the car to a really good top shop that has experience with the 71-76 GM full size top. They are a strange beast and different from all other conventional tops.

There are several places in the Phila metro area to get these done.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)
2008 DTS
2012 CTS Coupe
2017 XT
1956 Thunderbird
1966 Olds Toronado

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 76eldo on February 06, 2014, 06:54:54 PM
When you are folding he top are you pulling the fabric out from in between the bows?  That's important. ..........  Brian   
I have never had to do anything apart from pressing the switch to lower the top on mine, and I have no trouble installing the Hard Boot either.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Paul Tesone

I had ( and maybe still have ) a similar problem with my 76 Eldo. To make a long story short as possible : In december 2011 , when I was putting the car away for the winter , the top stopped about four inches from closing all the way . I foolishishly gave the top a little shove and succeeded in shattering the rear window . Prior to that , the top worked PERFECTLY . It seems that a cotter pin came loose on one of the arms and the mechanism got jammed . All I wanted was a new window and the cotter pin replaced . but I got talked into a new top as well . The new top looked great - BUT, it wouldn't retract completely into the well . The convertible top guy said he could adjust things ( I'll get to that in a moment ) so that the top would retract completely , but that would mean that it wouldn't come up all the way to lock into place . He told me to choose - lock when in the up position , but be unable to put the boot on ; or be able to put the boot on , but be unable to lock in the up position . I told him that was nonsense and gave him advice on how to fold the material so it could retract properly . He called back and said he succeeded in getting it to work correctly . I didn't and still don't believe  him , but picked up the car anyway bacause winter had arrived . In the spring , I never had a chance to put the top down because I was too busy preparing other cars for the Boston GN . I still haven't put the top down , so I really don't know if it works properly or not . I'll find out this spring .With that as background , I offer you this advice and information : (!) NEVER force the top into the well or toward the header ; (2) Find someone who really knows the operation of these scissors tops . Everyone will tell you that they can do the job , but everyone can't . The person I took my car to has an outstanding reputation and does great work ; but he clearly was in over his head when it came to the mechanics of this particular type of top ; (3) get a top manual for whomever you bring the car to ; (4) both my regular restoration guy and the convertible top guy showed me where , in the well , slight adjustments could be made as to how far forward or back the top will move . So I'm pretty certain adjustments can be made ; (5) be sure the correct material and padding is used . and it is folded properly when retracted into the well . If the material and/or padding is too thick , or not folded properly , you don't have a chance of the top fitting properly in the well . That's all I know . Hopefully , in the spring , I will be pleasantly surprised to find that all is well in the world of 1976 convertible tops - but I'm not terribly optimistic . ... Good luck . ...Paul Tesone CLC #6876. 

Viator Trudeau

To Paul and every one who took the time to respond to my top question.  Warm air was here in Chesapeake,VA today, 65"" to day, top down is just around the corner!!!

V. Trudeau  #8679

TJ Hopland

We have had a couple days in the 30's.  Got reports of tops down but not mine, not even close.   

Tomorrow could be 8" of snow and slush then 35mph winds and looks like next week will be single digit highs and single digit negative lows which is better than what we had a few weeks ago. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

76eldo

If everything is correct, the top will do down just fine without any manual folding and tucking of the material, but if you make sure that the material is folding evenly as it goes down, either by pushing the material in or pulling it out from the bows, it will not get pinched and as wrinkled.  This is especially important if you are putting the boot on and leaving the top down for weeks or months.

As you ride around and go over bumps, the material of the top rubs on itself and can cause wear, wrinkles, etc.

I recently had to replace the top on my 60 DeVille because some moron put the end caps on the rear bow outer covering with nails instead of screws.  The nail head backed out a little bit and put a bunch on pin holes in the top as it was folded.

I have the 1960 convertible instruction booklet and it specifically shows pulling the material out from in between the bows as the top is being lowered.

I realize that the 71-76 tops are different, but making the material stack flatter bay be helpful and might make the top last longer.  I think it's extra important given the way any obstruction or misalignment can break the rear window.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)