News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

gas line 41 60 special

Started by mr41cadillac, February 06, 2014, 07:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

I need a picture of the original gas line from the metal gas line that comes up in the engine compartment to the fuel pump. I ordered a new one but its about 3 inches to short. I must be missing something unless they sent the wrong one. thanks john

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi John: The flexible line joining the fuel pump to main fuel line is 8 inches( picture below) not including the common union to join the flex line to the 5/16 main fuel line. I bought this new flex line from a vendor from Indianapolis some years ago at Hershey so I know the length is correct as it fits perfectly. I have never seen an absolute original flex line as most originals are long gone. All models of the Cadillac from 41-48 used the same flex line.   Bill

mr41cadillac

bill the line I ordered is 8 inches but about 3 inches to short. I cant figure out what I need to make it longer thanks john

Bill Ingler #7799

John: Strange things happen to these old cars as they pass from owner to owner over 70 plus years. When I restored the 47 I replaced the whole line from the tank forward so the new short flex line connect up perfectly. If you have not replaced that line from the tank or if you elect to stay with what line is now on the car, then I think the only thing to do is cut the fuel line someplace as it comes forward along the frame and add what ever length of 5/16 fuel line necessary. In restoring old 70 plus year old cars and if the brake and fuel line look like the age of the car, I error on the side of caution and replace with all new lines.

Bill

mr41cadillac

thanks bill what happened in the process of engine removal the gas line had gotten pushed down so i simply pulled it up and now it fits.........sometimes things are simple if we consider all possibilities john