News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56' 365 main bearing swap in car?

Started by Drake Danger, February 06, 2014, 01:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Danger

Hi I will appreciate any insight from anybody that has done this before. The Right head cracked into the #4 cylinder exhaust area. It looks like repairing this head is the only way to go, seeing how everybody seems to be fresh out of stock on these heads. Anyhow we did a compression test before pulling the head and all cylinders were in the 125 range besides #3, so I pulled the 2 pistons as well to better inspect them, #3 had both compression rings lined up, that is the only thing that I could clearly see could have created the lower compression in that hole. Well none the less, I pulled all pistons out at this point because #7 had a chip in it and we are going to run the monkey ball through the holes and re-ring all of them. The rod bearings are wearing good and even, but some copper is starting to show through in various spots. This leaves us to believe the Mains are probably in the same condition. I have never done an in car rebuild before, although I have done plenty on a stand. Can the mains be changed out while in the vehicle, with transmission still hooked up and other main caps in place and torqued to spec? I would feel really uncomfortable having to loosen all of the caps at the same time to put bearings in.
L.Todd
This Pink one is going to be the death of me, just a wiring harness he says.... and some carpet, and a headliner, and a seat, and paint the dash and column, and rebuild wheel cylinders, master and booster, and rebuild light, seat and window switches, touch up the few paint nicks, convert to an alternator, swap the carb out for a new one... but we are only doing the wiring on this...I was retired

Steve Passmore

I cant answer for that specific year but I changed many mains back in the day with the motors in place, some even being done in the roadside at my mothers place.   Remove one cap at a time and find something that will fit into the oil hole in the journal leaving just a 16th or so of metal showing.      I think there used to be special tools but we used to find a bolt that would do and cut it off to length, with just the 16th sticking out slowly turn the crankshaft with the bolt on the opposite side to the locator's in the bearing and it should just slide it right round and out.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Dave Shepherd

I have had more success loosening all the caps then pull the crank down gently to gain some room, it will not move much as the
chain and trans restrict the movement. There are T shaped tools that fit in the crank oil hole that will allow you to spin out the bearing, as mentioned, going back in with new bearings can be a little harder. Also check the surface finish of the crank before proceeding, it may need an undercut. This is really not the right way to do this.

Drake Danger

Thanks for the insight guys. I know this is not the optimal way to do this, but this is the way it has to get done at this point. I have only checked the crank on the rod journals and it still looks great. The bearings are a little worn, but worn evenly so I am hoping I find the same thing on the mains. This whole thing really only started as a head gasket job, but since we found low compression in #3 we thought it might be best to throw some new rings at it and then naturally rod bearings. Then since we are already there might as well do mains if they are similar in wear to the rods, but I haven't pulled a cap yet so we shall see.
SP- I am still a little unclear about your process.
Thank you
L Todd
This Pink one is going to be the death of me, just a wiring harness he says.... and some carpet, and a headliner, and a seat, and paint the dash and column, and rebuild wheel cylinders, master and booster, and rebuild light, seat and window switches, touch up the few paint nicks, convert to an alternator, swap the carb out for a new one... but we are only doing the wiring on this...I was retired

Steve Passmore

You remove a bearing cap completely, as Dave said a good idea to loosen the rest. Without the proper tool, find something that will fit into the oil hole in that journal and remain sticking out just enough to catch the bearing shell when turning the crank, this will push the upper bearing around the journal and out when you turn the crank. Do it on the opposite side to the locator's of coarse.
We used to cut the shank out of a long bolt and smooth it up.       Don.t forget to remove whatever you use after.

I wouldn't advise this method to replace them though, you could easily put a burr on the new shells, use a block of wood to push the new ones around..
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

gene harl

I have used a cut off nail... the head is thin enough to clear the block..
gene harl

Jay Friedman

The last time I did this with a friend, we used a large cotter pin.   You put it tail down in a vise almost to the head and then hammer the head flat.  The tail fit right in the hole in the crankshaft and the head was just the right thickness such that it pushed out the bearing without touching anything else.  It's been a while, but as others said they did I think we loosened the bearing caps we weren't working on at that moment. 

We used a similar method to replace the upper half of the rear main seal.  First, after loosening the other bearing caps to lower the crankshaft a thousandth or two, we screwed a wood screw into one side of the seal, then pulled the head of the screw with a pliers, at the same time pushing on the other side of the seal with a rod.  Then pushed in the new one.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Dave Shepherd

I checked my tool for this, made by perfect circle.