News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Refinishing Hub Cap Medallions - 1939?

Started by hudson29, February 06, 2014, 02:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hudson29

According to the build sheet Cadillac sold me back in 1996, my 1939 6127 Coupé was equipped from the factory with the small hub caps and wheel trim rings and that is what the car has now. The caps and rings were somewhat battered and corroded but #0000 steel wool & polish made the caps look better. The CLC Authenticity Manual sez the caps should be perfectly smooth, these are not. They have a definite shape to them and are very attractive. Pictures are below. Any idea what year these actually are? BTW, the medallions are bigger than the repops made to fit the full wheel covers.

The bottom picture shows an old full wheelcover with a new medallion set on one of the wheels to see how the car might look with a set of these covers. The full covers are available from the vendors, the small caps I have not seen.

The medallions need to be refinished. I tried polish but they are going to need to be stripped and the metal brightened before they can be repainted. What is the best way to strip the old paint & brighten the metal?

Vintage Paul

1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1926 Hudson Anderson Bodied Coupé
1923 Ford Runabout

joeceretti

I am interested in this thread. I've been wondering the same thing. I prefer the look of the small caps and the outer rings. I like the colour showing through. I have a wheel from a 38 LaSalle and it has a pin stripe around the edge just inside of the trim ring. I am wondering if some cars came this way.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Paul,
The small caps you show are 41 to 53 style. The 38 to 40 style are smooth. The emblems are also different. Maybe someone can post a picture of the correct caps? The full disc is 39/40 style.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

gary griffin

Joe,

I have refinished several of the medallions and here are the steps I do.

Strip off all old paint with a stripper

Polish the brass well, even the part that will be red. I use Brasso like we polished our brass with in the army.

Get  red spray paint that is translucent so shine shows through. I do not recall the name of the paint but I am sure someone else will.  Mask everything not red. and spray a coat of red. You should be able to see the brass shine at this time.

I use model airplane paint and apply it by the drop with a toothpick> A small paint brush could be used for the larger areas.

Spray with clear lacquer when complete and dry.
   I always do a batch and pick the best 4 for my car.
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver

joeceretti

Here's what they are supposed to look like, minus the LaSalle emblem.

Thanks for the painting tips! I will follow those.

hudson29

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on February 06, 2014, 04:34:34 PM
Paul,
The small caps you show are 41 to 53 style. The 38 to 40 style are smooth. The emblems are also different. Maybe someone can post a picture of the correct caps? The full disc is 39/40 style.
HTH, Bob

Thanks Bob, I had guessed they were probably earlier caps because they had some nice detail work in the design. Its nice to hear they are later and should be easier to find examples in better condition. I do like the style of them. I think the car would look very nice with the full wheel covers but those are running $800 a set plus whatever the ride runs to.

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1923 Ford Runabout

hudson29

Quote from: gary griffin on February 06, 2014, 04:38:22 PM
Joe,

I have refinished several of the medallions and here are the steps I do.

Strip off all old paint with a stripper

Polish the brass well, even the part that will be red. I use Brasso like we polished our brass with in the army.

Get  red spray paint that is translucent so shine shows through. I do not recall the name of the paint but I am sure someone else will.  Mask everything not red. and spray a coat of red. You should be able to see the brass shine at this time.

I use model airplane paint and apply it by the drop with a toothpick> A small paint brush could be used for the larger areas.

Spray with clear lacquer when complete and dry.
   I always do a batch and pick the best 4 for my car.

Yes, I have Brasso. How do you get a good polish in the detail? These medallions have a lot of areas that would be very difficult to get a polishing cloth into. I didn't know that a translucent spray paint was available. I too have model airplane paints including a translucent red I use for navigation lights. If I can get the medallions stripped & well polished this project should be fun!

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1923 Ford Runabout

hudson29

Quote from: Joe Ceretti on February 06, 2014, 03:32:46 PM
I am interested in this thread. I've been wondering the same thing. I prefer the look of the small caps and the outer rings. I like the colour showing through. I have a wheel from a 38 LaSalle and it has a pin stripe around the edge just inside of the trim ring. I am wondering if some cars came this way.

I don't know about the '38 models, but the Authenticity Manual for the '39 & '40 models sez that the wheels were striped. There were two stripes and were visible with the small hub caps & trim rings but hidden under the full wheel covers.

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1923 Ford Runabout

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The paint is Testor's Candy Apple Red. Get your self a new pack of single edge razor blades to trim the masking tape. The new blue snuggles down well.
Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Glen

I’ve heard that for fine detail work you should use scotch tape.  It leaves a neater masking line.  Has anyone tried that?  If so what were the results?     
Glen Houlton CLC #727 
CLCMRC benefactor #104

Jeff Maltby 4194

Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

las39

Translucent spray paint is also used for tail light glass touch-up or coloring.
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert

Tom Boehm

Hello, I use Tarnx to take the tarnish off brass. The product is intended to take the tarnish off silver not brass but it still works. It works a lot faster than brasso and gets in the nooks. After the tarnish is gone I use brasso to polish. All stripper residue must be gone for the Tarnx to work. Also, you can make translucent red by adding red paint to a clear finish. Add red lacquer to clear lacquer or red oil base/alkyd paint to varnish. I have sprayed hubcap medallions with an airbrush.
     While we're on the topic of hubcaps, has anyone found a way to restore the small hubcaps with the chromed brass skin over steel? Chrome platers shy away from these because they don't know how to get the skin off to replate and then how to reinstall it back on the steel hubcap?