News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

'68 and '74 eldorados

Started by Viator Trudeau, February 09, 2014, 10:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viator Trudeau

Can some one help me---- My '68 eldo with a 472 C I engine has one oil pan drain, the '74 with 500 CI engine has a second drain in oil pan in front of the left drive axel clearance bump.  When did the mfg. start this? 

Where in relation to the main drain plug is the oil pump pick up located?  and how much clearance between the pump pickup screen and bottom of pan.
Would the plastic oil shedder pieces (very small) after being broken into small pieces by the valve spring action,be washed down to the rear of the oil pan along with the cam shaft teeth?
I have never removed a pan fron a 472 or 500 and saw how these pieces are laying in the bottom of the pan.  CML comments indicate the pieces could collect under pick up screen and clog it.   I am trying to avoid removing the pan.  How safe is this line of thought.
V.Trudeau

TJ Hopland

The pickup is in the rear section.  Its very close to the bottom of the pan.  All these engines I have taken apart have had relatively few bits of cam sprocket and guide seals showing in the pans.  I have never noticed it coming out when doing changes but most of the time my drain pans are not that clean and I usually don't look real close so I could easily miss it.  When I first got my first 73 I remember thinking it didn't look like the front plug had been out in a long time and some pretty nasty stuff came out when I removed it.  I first removed the rear plug and what came out of there pretty much looked like dirty old oil. 

I think I accidentally discovered that a lot of it ends up in the pickup when I had just finished cleaning one in the parts washer and dropped it on the floor on my way back to the bench.  Since then I expect it.  Every time was amazed and how much crap was in there and that it was not that easy to get out. 
StPaul/Mpls, MN USA

73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI
80 Eldo Diesel
90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

The Tassie Devil(le)

I don't know when the change from one plug to two came, but there is a deep enough cavity to hold junk in the front one.

When I pulled my '72 engine down, there were no nylon bits to be seen in the sump.   They were all in the Oil Pickup screen, and I don't know how long they were there for, as the engine had done unknown miles.   I didn't see any Valve Stem seal components in the accumulage, but then, there could have been, as the stem seals were noit in the best of condition when I eventually fully rebuilt the engine last year.

I managed to remove all the pieces without destroying the screen, (took half a day of poking and prodding, banging and washing)

Bruce. >:D

'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon