News:

Due to a technical issue, some recently uploaded pictures have been lost. We are investigating why this happened but the issue has been resolved so that future uploads should be safe.  You can also Modify your post (MORE...) and re-upload the pictures in your post.

Main Menu

side mirrows 41 60 special

Started by mr41cadillac, February 10, 2014, 09:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr41cadillac

mirrow trouble. any ideas on proper side view mirrows. I have ordered 2 different mirrows that wont work. the 1st was a clamp on that was not wide enough to clamp on. the second was drill on into the chrome behind  the vent window. this wont do because  the vent window wont open all the way.  anyone with a 41 60 special have any ideas thanks john

hudson29

Can you please post some pictures of the mirrors & the fit problems you are having? It is kinda hard to visualize the problem you are having without seeing it.

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1926 Hudson Anderson Bodied Coupé
1923 Ford Runabout

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi John: The correct mirror for your car is called a K-B Mirror or King Bee. McVey has them but unless you really need to buy the right side mirror, I would save my money. The right side mirror in my opinion is almost useless to use from the drivers seat. Placement on the right quarter window frame plus the size of the small mirror makes it almost impossible to make out what is behind you by looking across from the drivers seat. If the mirror is mounted properly it should present no problem with opening and closing the vent window. I had a pair on my 41 60s as well as on my 47 convert.   Bill

http://www.mcveys.com/parts/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=11&idcategory=4

hudson29

Quote from: Bill Ingler #7799 on February 13, 2014, 09:29:02 PM
The right side mirror in my opinion is almost useless to use from the drivers seat. Placement on the right quarter window frame plus the size of the small mirror makes it almost impossible to make out what is behind you by looking across from the drivers seat.

Thanks for that insight. I too would like to add a right side mirror to my car, a 1939 6127 Coupé but it just doesn't make sense to do this if you can't see anything. Is there a period correct aftermarket mirror that will clearly reflect the traffic situation to the driver?

Vintage Paul
1939 Cadillac 6127 Coupé
1929 Hudson Town Sedan
1926 Hudson Anderson Bodied Coupé
1923 Ford Runabout

Martin Michaels

Bill,talking about mirrors on your '47 convertible,on my '47 62 sedan would the King bee be the correct one for both sides? Where would you say is the best location to mount the mirrors for best visibility. Marty.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi Martin: As you probably already know, you could only get the mirrors from the dealer as the factory did not install a door mirror. I always heard that the mirror installed by the dealer for all 47 models was the King Bee. I can only comment on mirror installation on the convert as I am not familiar with the sedan door as to how to mount a mirror. In addition to McVey selling the King Bee mirror, All Cads sells the King Bee. If you look at page two of the 47 parts available on the All Cads web site catalog, you will see that the King Bee mirror listed for 47 closed models has a mounting bracket for the mirror. It could be that this mounting bracket acts as a support behind the door flange as well as hiding the ends of the mounting screws.  As far as the place to mount the mirror, the King Bee and its shape plus its base was I believe designed for mounting low and forward of the vent window, on both side of the car. I really can`t visualize the King Bee mirrors looking good any other place. As I said in the earlier posting the passenger side mirror is useless to me from the drivers seat. My wife likes the right mirror as she can see what is behind from her side. Now if I could only hear what she says. Sometimes I am glad I have selective hearing.      Bill

mr41cadillac

bill that's the one I ordered. king bee mcveys.  but if I drill holes on lower part of chrome the vent window wont open all the way. the only place I can see it will go would be behind the ss drip moulding and onto the body of car. any advice thanks john

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi John: All 41-60s or the 41-6267, 42-47- 6267 converts that I have seen have had the mirrors installed on the lower part of the chrome vent assembly and not into the body of the car. My 41-60s that I sold several years ago as well as my present 47 convert, both have the mirrors as described above and I can`t remember having any trouble opening the windows. From what you have said in your last posting I wonder if McVEY has sent you the correct King Bee mirror?

The club provides on this web site a vast library of Cadillac pictures.  http://photos.cadillaclasalleclub.org/thumbnails.php?album=7&page=1  You might click in on this and scroll down until you find the 41-60s picture gallery. You will see that the 41-60s have their mirrors in the chrome vent assembly. If you can wait a few days until I get down to the garage where I have my 47 convert, I can take a few close up pictures of where the mirrors are installed. Please let me know if you want pictures. Maybe someone reading this posting who has a 60s will jump in and post a picture of their mirror installation for you.   Bill 

mr41cadillac

thanks bill. yes I can wait. the number on their bill is the same number they show. however as none of their parts are identified by numbers on the part itself or the packages who knows. one pictures looks like the mirrow is straight and others curved. mine is curved. or another possibitity is my vent window opens slightly more that it should. all my windows were stuck but I lubed them and they all open fine now. however when the vent window is fully open it would be right on the drivers face where it should be. if you can send those pictures when you get around to it I thank you. john

Bill Ingler #7799

Hi John: Here are some pictures of the placement on my 47 convert. Granted it is not your 60 special but the mirrors mount in the same location on both cars. One or two of the pictures were taken with my 47 vent window wide open and as you will see there is clearance. I will try to post 5 pictures on this posting but might have to make it 2 postings. The last picture is of my friends 41 Buick with a King Bee and you will see the difference in the mirror for his Buick compared to the Cadillac. I will be interested to find out why the mirror you got from McVey won`t work on your 60s. If it is the right mirror then clearance should not be an issue.   I will post the last two picture on another posting.    Bill

Bill Ingler #7799

Here are 3 more pictures to go with the first posting

joeceretti

Thanks for the photos Bill! John, I also would like to see some photos of how the kb mirrors fit on your 60S. I have some mirrors on my 60S and they interfere with the vent windows.

mr41cadillac

bill , I have 5.75 inches between the bottom of the drip edge and bottom of the vent window when my vent window is fully open. of course when you measure up the space is less, clearly not enough room for the mirrow. the mirrow looks the same asin  your pictures. my vent windows appear larger, and when fully open would be directin air right on drivers face. thanks for your time posting what do you think ? john

Bill Ingler #7799

I appreciate your concern as to the proper place to mount the King Bee mirror on your 41-60s and you asked what do I think.  All I can say is every 41-60s that I have seen has had the King Bee mounted in the same place. Now I have seen some 60s with an additional, very small mirror, mounted on the top of the door over the drivers window. To mount the King Bee on the body of the 60s and not the vent window assembly,would in my opinion take away from the clean flowing lines of the 60 special and affect the value of the car on resale. Here is a 41-60s that Steve Snyder at the Vault had for sale. A very nice car, if still for sale would make a great addition to any garage. Look at were the mirrors are mounted.I think I have been on several western CCCA tours with my 47 along with that 41-60s and I know the owner has always tried to present correct cars. John if you want to talk, my number in Scottsdale is 480-488-5853.    Bill

http://www.vaultcars.com/1941-cadillac-60-special-with-factory-sunshine-roof-sunroof

joeceretti

The vent windows on my 38 60S open quite far and will definitely hit the mirrors in the link you posted. I'm not sure what to do. I think only mirrors with a straight arm would work properly.

I have to imagine that John's would be the same.

las39

Quote from: Joe Ceretti on February 15, 2014, 04:25:26 PM
The vent windows on my 38 60S open quite far and will definitely hit the mirrors in the link you posted. I'm not sure what to do. I think only mirrors with a straight arm would work properly.

I have to imagine that John's would be the same.
Interesting. I had the clamp on model but will switch to the King Bee version so also curious. It seems you're right, it should be straight as far as I can tell from this copy of 1939 option catalog. Also attached are original ones with bended arm
1939 LaSalle 5027
1941 Chrysler Royal Coupe
1934 Oldsmobile F34
1976 Moto Guzzi Convert