News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1959 Trip Odometer Reset

Started by Coupe Deville, February 12, 2014, 01:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coupe Deville

Hello everyone. This may seem like a dumb question but I have no idea where the little knob is to rest the trip odemeter. Atleast I think its a knob.... Anyone know were/how to reset it?

Thanks

-Gavin
-Gavin Myers CLC Member #27431
"The 59' Cadillac says more about America than a whole trunk full of history books, It was the American Dream"

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Gavin,

The knob is supposed to be at the bottom of the dash board, underneath the dash itself, facing downwards.

It is a length of flexible tubing, with an internal flexible shaft, a bit like a speedo cable.

In the picture, you will see it (with the knob missing) if you look above the accelerator pedal or in that area.

To reset, you push the knob up, and turn.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

INTMD8

Somebody messed up and built that car backwards!   

59-in-pieces

Bruce,
Are you some kinda Photo Shop genius.
I have never seen a right hand drive 59.
Assuming the car is for real, what else is reversed about the car.
For my education out of ignorance, would you please shoot a couple of photos of the engine compartment - and post them.
What a rare treasure.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

Dan LeBlanc

DO NOT reset while the car is in motion. I've had friends find out the hard way what happens when you do.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on February 12, 2014, 05:15:15 PM
Bruce,   Are you some kinda Photo Shop genius.
I have never seen a right hand drive 59.
Assuming the car is for real, what else is reversed about the car.
For my education out of ignorance, would you please shoot a couple of photos of the engine compartment - and post them.
What a rare treasure.
Have fun,  Steve B. 

Actually, it is a 1960, but the dash is virtually identical to the '59.   There are a lot of RHD Cadillacs in Australia that were imported between 1946 and 2000.   Recently we have been allowed to drive LHD cars trhat are over 30 years old, so there has been a sudden flood of imports.

The Power Steering Mounting is a 1961, as the engine I fitted is out of a '61 SDV, and the Brake Booster from a Holden HQ with Dual Circuit M/C.   The Rocker Cover required some modification, as when I purchased the car it was fitted with a 454 Chev and TH400.   The Cadillac engine is wider.   The Radiator was placed in front of the crossmember as per a vehicle with A/C, which was required with the 454, but as I was going to fit A/C, I managed to get a Fan Shroud so fitted that in preparation.

There are a lot of items reversed including window wiring, wiper switching, seat switching, all dash and control wiring, relocating of Steering Box and Column, Brakes and piping, including the Parking Brake, and not forgetting the actual Dash Board, which is a fibreglass unit.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

59-in-pieces

Bruce,
The car is remarkable.
Was the car made right hand in the states or modified in Australia.
Is the entire dash fiberglass including the lower section and dash/instrument cluster.
That car would be all the rage here in the States.
Is your intention to restore it or keep it a daily driver.
Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Steve,

The car was imported into Australia around 1974 from what I can gather, and the conversion was done in New South Wales.

I was talking to the owner who had it in NSW, as I was chasing the original motor and trans, as the bloke I bought it off said that he only bought the car as is, with the 454 and TH400, and he said the engine and trans was transplanted when the conversion was done because the engine needed total rebuilding.   (BBC's are cheaper here than Cadillacs).

On talking with the NSW owner, he said he would try and find the original engine and trans, as it was left with the fella that did the ewngine change, but enquiries later found that it had sat around in the fellas' garage and had got in the way, they simply threw it out.

The dash top half is Fibreglass, and the lower section is all real steel.

As an aside, the upholstery was re-done in Italian Shoe Leather, as the owner at the time owned a Shoe Shop.   Plus, the Left outside mirror is totally useless when being viewed from the Right Hand seating position.

As for the car now, it is in Western Australia, as I reluctantly sold it to enable me to search for the '72 Eldorado Convertible that I now have.   I purchased that in NY in 2007 via ebay.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe