News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1966 Cadillac Convertible - Seat Transmission and Speakers

Started by sunshine, February 13, 2014, 02:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshine

My 66 Cadillac Convertible has am/FM stereo. I sent it out to be refurbished & updated. Now  I need to replace the 2-stock  4" speakers in frt (located on either side of the dash) I was able to locate a  rear speaker.  Does any know where to get these. I've tried to locate the frt speakers but most of the one available aren't shallow enough.  Any help will be appreciated

sunshine

Hi guys!

Currently have 2- 66 caddys. Both are mostly original. Convertible has (a garage fine from a customer of mine) 75000 miles which my wish is to make it a driver. I've had all the body work done & it's in primer. So far the main issue I need help with is minor. This car came w/a stereo radio. I had it rebuilt w/up grade including the amp.  I"m looking for a pair of stereo speakers that fit into the dash. They are 4", but the depth is the problem. Can anyone help.

As far as the coupe is concerned, it as 47000 mile. I believe it was a special order from a GM rep.
The color on the tag is 00. When the snow clears I will post the tag. It state 00 6. I researched the color it was painted a GM truck color. I believe it is the only one ever painted this color. The color is Red Orange or Omaha Orange from a GM truck. It has a white interior, white vinyl top & red accents. Can help me to confirm this.

Chuck Swanson

CLC Lifetime
AACA Lifetime
Like 65-66 Club: www.facebook.com/6566Cadillac
66 DeVille Convertible-CLC Sr Wreath, (AACA 1st Jr 2021, Senior 2022, 1st GN 2022 Sr GN 2023), Audrain Concours '22 3rd in Class.
66 Sedan DeVille hdtp
66 Calais pillar sedan
66 Series 75 9-pass limo
65 Eldorado (vert w/bucket seats)
65 Fleetwood
07 DTS w/ Performance pkg.
67 Chevy II Nova (AACA Sr GN 2018)
69 Dodge Coronet R/T

Aprules2

Just curious, are you sure the dash speakers are 4 inch? I know your car is older, but the front speakers on all my 70s gm vehicles are 3.5 inch. A half an inch is easy to confuse, I've done it before too.

sunshine

First I want to thank Chaz for directing me to the speaker site. Also thanks to Aprules2, I did measure & you were right 3.5"
Now the next 2 issues I'm looking to address is 1st the power seat transmission.  The seat motor works but the seats do not move in any direction. The cable vibrate (if I'm describing it right). Can I purchase parts to rebuild it myself or just find a rebuilt one.

2nd is the power antenna. Once again the motor works but doesn't retract (lucky its in the up position). Will I be able to purchase the nylon cable & rebuild this myself or once again have to purchase a rebuilt one.

Not opposed to purchasing either item but would love to try in rebuilding them myself 

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

I don't know if your powr seat is the same as the 70 but here is what I did on mine.  The switch was crapped up so I cleaned it.  Still had a little problem with the motor running but it would run most of the time.  However the motor would run but it would only go in 1 direction.  Determined that the transmission didn't seem to engage so the motor would just spin.  The motor runs only 2 ways and is a direct connection to the trans.  The trans then runs out to the seat track via speedo cables for forward,back and the tilt.  I removed the trans, opened it up and cleaned everything.  The solenoids were stuck but when I cleaned them up it worked OK.  Make sure you pay attention to how the little gears go in so you can get it back together OK.  Now I hear the solenoids clicking but the motor doesn't turn so I guess I need to do the same thing with the motor. 
I am not sure if they are the same but probably similar.  Only hard part was getting it out because the seat was down so it was hard to get under it to get the thing out...... And a few too many donuts prevent me from bending like I used to.
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille